Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Machining a bearing housing clearance

<< < (3/4) > >>

vintageandclassicrepairs:
Hi Spurry,
I would aim for size for size , 47mm, this should give a tight push fit plenty good for such a device,
and as said a drop of loctite if it turns out to be a bit slack
It looks like there was a lot of "juice " around turning the grease to mud ?? I would try some outboard motor water proof grease ??

John

Spurry:
Thanks again for all the comments. The up/down play in the gearbox side bearing was 3 to 5mm. This meant that the plastic gear did not last long at all. The other shorter side was not quite so bad. The visible odd-shaped holes were caused by using the machine with really clapped out bearings, so one of my first difficulties was trying to locate the centres. All in all, I decided to start from square one, hence the question about bearing housings.

This was a slight understatement "It looks like there was a lot of "juice " around turning the grease to mud ?" Sums it up exactly! There is a photo of the contents, but to post would not be in good taste. :)

These pix show the story so far.

Spurry:
Bit of an update.
A start was made on the new case. Unfortunately my metal bender had a max capacity of 50mm, but 60mm was needed. The only thing I could find to do the job was the log splitter, so that was 'adapted'. Fortunately both of the bends ended up quite square with almost no twist. (2&3)
(5) Shows the bearing housing, average of 4 readings on mill DRO showed undersize by 0.001mm. The other size was 0.019mm under. If the latter caused a problem, it would easier to remake that side. Main problem is that I did not want to risk the bearing fits, as they would have to be removed before welding the housings.
(6) Last dry fit before inserting bearing.
(7) Finally in place.
Still a few parts to sort out before completion.
Pete

Sea.dog:
That looks like a nice job  :clap:

vtsteam:
It does.  :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version