The Shop > CNC

3d printing - which software?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Pete.:
I've downloaded Fusion 360 and started up the (steep) slope with tutorials. Need a better graphics card it seems :D

Also downloaded the latest creality slicer which is nothing at all like the one bundled with the Ender 3.
For one thing they have dropped support for .dae files which means that I have to stop drawing with Sketchup. Not such a bad thing as I now have no choice but to learn Fusion.

Creality slicer is based on cura, in fact the first thing it does is prompt you to upgrade tot he latest Cura.

efrench:
I use Fusion 360 for design work and PrusaSlicer for the slicer.  I get better prints from PrusaSlicer than from Cura.

You can import your Sketchup files into Fusion 360.

shipto:
I have to go with freecad too, It's a great program that is getting better all the time. I did dabble with fusion for a while but couldn't get the hang of it quite as well as freecad. For slicing I opt for cura which at times has let me down and I have had to go with other slicers but this was mostly with figures for my daughter.

Pete.:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to stick with Fusion and cura for now, it seems to be a popular cobination and no-one has been negative about either. The creality slicer and Cura are almost identical, Creality being nothing more than Cura with less features as far as I can tell. At least with the proper Cura I can make simple models in Sketchup and save as .dae files, which the Creality slicer no longer supports.

vtsteam:

--- Quote from: Pete. on December 13, 2020, 05:32:04 AM ---Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to stick with Fusion and cura for now, it seems to be a popular cobination and no-one has been negative about either. The creality slicer and Cura are almost identical, Creality being nothing more than Cura with less features as far as I can tell. At least with the proper Cura I can make simple models in Sketchup and save as .dae files, which the Creality slicer no longer supports.

--- End quote ---

Pete, I've been reading this thread for a few days, don't know much about the programs listed or 3d printing, but did want to mention, that the old Google Sketchup (7 and 8)  (pre-Trimble) did have a .dxf plugin for exporting dxf files. I use that a lot. Don't know if that's of interest, and you sound like you're getting away from SKup. But it does make work with other CNC programs a lot easier. For CNC milling, btw I use the free Phlatboyz plugin (again for the old Google Sketchup).

Okay, butting out now......  :zap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version