Author Topic: David Richards Steam Powered Machine Shop  (Read 4765 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
David Richards Steam Powered Machine Shop
« on: November 17, 2020, 07:09:10 PM »
David Richards Steam Powered Machine Shop:

Maybe you guys already know this channel, but new to me, and I'm definitely wasting hours watching this series. Man, total envy, and exactly the kind of stuff I love. Here's just one, picked at random:

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
Re: David Richards Steam Powered Machine Shop
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 05:15:23 AM »
I've been watching him for a couple of years. As you say, you "waste" a lot of hours catching up with the back catalogue. So much better than channels such as Abom69, who used to be good, but has become so boring since he went self-employed.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 03:31:46 PM »
Great to watch, but we don't know how lucky we are just having to flick a switch to get things turning - I suppose that the slower pace of life would be good for our hearts!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 04:56:49 PM »
Hi All
Yes its on my watch list.
Andrew,
Dave has an electrically powered engine rebuild shop to keep the bills paid, the steam powered shop is a "form of entertainment" with him

John

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 05:49:37 PM »
Great to watch, but we don't know how lucky we are just having to flick a switch to get things turning - I suppose that the slower pace of life would be good for our hearts!

Hahaha!

Andrew, I've never seen you just flick a switch on any piece of newly acquired gear to get it to perform work as it's supposed to!  :poke:

But it would be less than entertaining if it did. Remember, as you have said yourself, it's the journey, not the product. Likewise Mr. Richards. 

And incidentally, looking at those nearly 70 videos, covering a 5 year period, I think he has done enough machine production, restoration, reconstruction, improvement, research, and invention in that time, actually working only winters under steam, to beggar any of us, and our own more modern machines. Not to mention the production hours he's spent in making the videos themselves. I don't see him getting results at a slower pace in any respect. I've seen him running 3 machines at a time. But surely, yes, total agreement, good for the heart....at least mine!.   :thumbup:  :beer:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:21:53 PM by vtsteam »
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg