Author Topic: a plea to all  (Read 3745 times)

Offline howsitwork?

a plea to all
« on: November 10, 2020, 04:13:16 PM »
Guys , and ladies  ( trying to be PC)

given , in the uk we’ve now all ( more or less) gone back into lockdown . I have a request to one and all, ring up youre old mates , drop em an email  just to check in.

There are a lot of isolated and concerned people out there and we re seeing a lot more “ stressed “ patients. Sorry I’m a pharmacist and we work throughout . I know everyone is worried , the not knowing if you’ve got or not got  covid is winding everyone up. Waiting cos you’re embarrassed about how long since you got in touch doe#nt help them or you so make that call.

Now getting off me soap box and feeling equally guilty , Andrew M and Ade how are you both doing? I imagine the holiday business is now quiet again Andrew ? Ade you’ll be stuck in UK so finishing the workshop off now ?I assume John ( double boost ) you and Debs are Ok?

stay safe , keep chatting and keep cheery

regards to all
Ian

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: a plea to all
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 05:17:53 PM »
Still here Ian !

Yes no cottage guests but I think that’s a small price to pay if it helps beat this scourge on all our lives.

To be fair, if I have to isolate, where I am couldn’t be much better.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 03:52:30 AM »
Hi Ian,

I'm here in my workshop full time at the moment - unfortunately (?) still working the day job, so none of my projects are progressing as fast as I'd like... plus having a young baby around the house is slowing down work there too... but slow & steady progress is happening.

Hey ho, 9am, and the day job beckons..... Damnit...

Cheers!
Ade.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 07:05:16 PM »
If you are the type to get lonely and feel cut off now it is a benefit to belong to some clubs.
One of my Model engineering club's secretary has sent out an email of info from members plus jokes every single day since March and we have had weekly zoom 'coffee morning' chats in place of the previous cafe meeting, plus monthly regular zoom club nights.
My other ME club increased the monthly newsletter to fortnightly and for the last few months has had forthnightly zoom meetings, one in the evening and one in the afternoon. Last Saturday (yeah rather slow to get to it) I held a weekend one for those who are working so can't make the afternoon one and clash with other things on the evening one. Last week I called a dozen or so members who hadn't attended any meetings to find out why and a couple more turned up.
The Model Engineer forum has so far had two national zoom evening sessions one of which included someone from France but the guys from Oz couldn't be bothered to get out of bed just 'cos it's 6am for them :(
My men's shed which should have been proactive has not been so good. I ring a few of them and started an email letter fortnightly to the few I knew but the Secretary refused to release the mail/phone list and I got no response from most so I gave that up. I've only been to one shed meeting, outside, limit on numbers, in mid summer.
Both my churches stream services.
My family zooms are difficult to arrange with nephews in Singapore and Melbourne and nearly got caught out when they changed their clocks at a different time to the rest of the world.
Meanwhile my working day involves a lot of webex meetings and always has done but I'm really enjoying not having to drive for 15 hours a week and dreading my boss's overeagerness to get us back to the office just 'cos he can't abide his family. HR have been getting lots of waste-of-space managers to bombard us with mental health discussions and videos and instructions to activate the video during conference calls. Though it is interesting to see how the directors all have immaculate spacious houses.
Having got so involved with stuff I'd forgotten how much I enjoy being alone. Got to go out shopping tomorrow for the first time in a month. Sadly only 2 weeks of isolation left.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 04:04:34 PM »
We’re getting a lot of people who were furloughed suddenyl realising that we got on and ran the business quite well without their input so suddenly, HR etc have started needing urgent zoom meetings, surveys, online input and other bloody irritations to justify their existence.

Staying sane is hard enough without their hindering us !

🤪

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 07:02:48 PM »
I'd like to hear from some of the old hands here, again, if they feel like posting something.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 04:02:22 PM »
Still here Ian !

Yes no cottage guests but I think that’s a small price to pay if it helps beat this scourge on all our lives.

To be fair, if I have to isolate, where I am couldn’t be much better.
Glad to hear it Andrew. I hope the grandson and his parents are doing OK.
After you mentioned Rob Wilson on the other forum the other day, I got to thinking about DaveH because I haven't heard from him in a long time. Just wondering if anyone knows how he is doing? It looks like he hasn't posted here for several months either, and I just wanted to pop in to try to check to see how he is doing...

Thanks,
Willie (Highpower)
WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
His profile says he was last here 9th March this year which is as you say a long time. I hope he’s OK.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 05:17:31 AM »
I'd like to hear from some of the old hands here, again, if they feel like posting something.

Hi there, all,

Do I qualify as 'an old hand'???   :D   :D   :D 

I wanted to refer to one of my own old posts yesterday but couldn't find it!!  I blame my age. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 05:47:43 AM »
Was it your shed roof Pete, or maybe your microscope ?

- give me context and I'll try and find it for you.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 10:15:06 AM »
Pete,

Are you aware that if you go to look at your profile summary there is a 'show posts' option under  the top  left hand 'profile info' heading ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 01:49:37 PM »
His profile says he was last here 9th March this year which is as you say a long time. I hope he’s OK.
As do I. I miss seeing his posts.
WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 05:32:58 AM »
Pete,

Are you aware that if you go to look at your profile summary there is a 'show posts' option under  the top  left hand 'profile info' heading ?

Thank you Andrew, I thought there was probably such a facility and I looked for but couldn't find it.  I blame my age!   :D   :D   :D 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
hi all still kicking :) :)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
Hi Bob! I was just looking at an old gage I have in a drawer and was thinking of you!  :bow: :beer:
Steve

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 05:53:02 PM »
Funny enough, same here!

I found an old DTI (inspected in 1968 I think, if I've read the hand engraving correctly), it's got some weird kind of gelatin substance stuck on half the dial.... I think it's beyond repair - Bob, fancy a challenge?  :wave:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline krv3000

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 02:20:47 PM »
hi im all ways up to a challenge get in touch this is my Email       www.bobajob62@aol.com
regards bob

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »
If you do fix it Bob, please show us.  :proj:
Steve

Offline Bee

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 08:21:04 PM »
Back on toic we were all set to encourage club members to think about meeting at the tracksite in small groups but now half of them are in tier 3, half in tier 2 and the track itself is in tier 3 although the road up to the gate is tier 2. Got to love borders.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2020, 04:52:31 PM »
hi yep i will post sum pics of the fix

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2020, 05:12:14 PM »
just got back on site  and great to see you’re still about Bob !

Must be saving a fortune by not going to car boots ????🤣

stay safe

Offline krv3000

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2020, 07:09:16 PM »
 hi yep as running out of stuff that I ones got from the boot sale but still managing to spend on ebay lol