Author Topic: A Box for a new toy - B&D KA900E Power File  (Read 3562 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
A Box for a new toy - B&D KA900E Power File
« on: October 29, 2020, 08:16:54 AM »
I bought a new toy - a Black & Decker KA900E Power File. I have a pneumatic one, but it's rather under powered and I don't have compressed air everywhere (almost!).

Now it came in a cardboard box that's likely to last about a week in my workshop! B&D don't offer a case (strangely) so I set about making a box. As I looked at brand new sheets of expensive Zintec  I thought, hang on, you made a cock up making that big radiator cowl and made a second, and you keep tripping over the useless first one - cut it up and re-use the sheet steel.

Hence why this thread is in "New for Old"  :clap:

Digging out my trusty Hypertherm 900 Powermax manual plasma cutter the old cowl was in bits on the floor in no time flat - a superb machine that I don't use that often. It has a minor fault in that once the air starts flowing it doesn't turn off when the plasma ceases - it's supposed to run for a few seconds to cool things but runs for ever. It doesn't affect it's working but I must find time to trace that fault  :scratch:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:10:59 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: A Box for a new toy - B&D KA900E Power File
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »
Then it was a case of squaring up the bits that I'd plasma cut, and finding the bits of a box amongst them!

Simple cutting and folding job followed by spot welding, and phoenix like a box arose from the ashes of the redundant cowl :clap:

I had a length of 'piano hinge' left over from the Beaver CNC lathe re-build - it would be handy for the lid, but it's chrome plated - will it spot weld? Well amazingly yes it will. So the hinge got fitted and the box it pretty well finished.

Just needs a catch and a handle then it can have a coat of paint to make it look pretty, and 'job's a good'un !'
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:11:37 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tom osselton

Re: A Box for a new toy - B&D K900E Power File
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 07:17:27 PM »
They are a nice addition but I can’t belive 32 people looked at a empty box! Lol

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 05:08:30 AM »
They are a nice addition but I can’t believe 32 people looked at a empty box! Lol

It's alright, we're all probably looking to see where he's hidden the white chair.  :thumbup:

Offline russ57

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 07:57:22 AM »
Wot, no foam ? Custom fitted vacuum moulded lining?
I'm always torn between wanting to put things like this in a custom box, or squeezing as much as possible into my very limited space which usually means shared accommodation not penthouse quarters...

-russ