Author Topic: WM14 mill spindle removal?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline picclock

WM14 mill spindle removal?
« on: October 20, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »
If anyone has successfully managed to remove the spindle on this mill, a Warco WM14, would they please be kind enough to let me into the secret. Its driving me mad atm  :bang:.

Have a bigger mill and its a snap, just compress a clip and it pops out.

Stupidly lost the manual on the WM14 - too many moves I think.

Many Thanks

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline RussellT

Re: WM14 mill spindle removal?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »
Hi picclock

I have the Chester version of this mill.  The good news is that I have successfully managed to remove the spindle.  The bad news is that it was ages ago and I can't remember how I did it.  I don't remember it being especially difficult.  I have the manual somewhere but I don't think that has anything that helps except an exploded view diagram.

I'll have another look at it later on to see if anything jogs my memory.  I think you have to remove the drilling handle and shaft, but I can't remember what happens about the drive gears.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline picclock

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 11:28:11 AM »
@ RussellT

Thanks for your interest.
The current state of play is that the handle has been removed, the motor mounting plate partly removed, and the external circlip that I think holds the shaft is removed.

I was hoping that the spindle assy would push through from the top but I'm reluctant to use too much force on it. The top bearing is 6209RZ ball type, which is odd because I thought it had tapered rollers  :palm:.

The spindle top has a cutout about 3mm thick and almost 180 degrees about 5mm below the top, see piccy. Hence the reason that I don't want to brute force it too much.

Many Thanks

Best Regards

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline RussellT

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 02:36:15 PM »
Hi picclock

Here's a diagram.

Looking at that some of it appears to comes out downward and some upwards.  I think you have to take the bottom section out first so you can then tap the top section from below.

Have you removed the grub screws on the right hand front edge of the head (252 and 253 in the diagram)?

Russell

Offline picclock

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 01:33:08 AM »
@RussellT
Thanks for the diagram, very useful.

Its not quite the same as the WM14. In the picture you can see there are no grub screws, but I suspect its something like that.

Its very frustrating that such a simple thing should be so difficult  :scratch:.

Best Regards

picclock

Offline chipenter

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 03:03:59 AM »
Is this Grizzly mill the same , the only difference I can see is it's R8 , they include a manual and parts list on the right .
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-6-x-20-3-4-HP-Mill-Drill/G0758
Jeff

Offline RussellT

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 04:10:00 AM »
Hi picclock

Yes, yours is a later model than mine and I'm not sure how the fine feed (?) shaft on the front affects it.

Can I still see the quill clamping lever on the left side in your first picture?  I think that and a pin underneath it have to come out.

Russell

Offline picclock

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 04:43:13 AM »
@chipenter
Thanks for the link. That seems to be the correct manual.
@RussellT
The Quill clamp will have to be removed, but I don't think its holding anything ATM. Its just the sort of thing I would forget to do  :palm:

Will give it a more thorough inspection later this morning.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Best Regards

picclock

Offline picclock

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 06:36:02 AM »
Hi All
I've finally figured it out. The slot in the top is for the spring retention clip to exit. So if the quill is set to the exact height so the clip aligns with the slot, the spring can be compressed and (finally) the spindle removed.

FWIW its easy to do when you know the trick. Really only need to remove the counter ring for access and set the level. Could have done it by using the quill clamp if I'd known.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Best Regards

picclock