Author Topic: Bridgeport J Head Pancake Motor  (Read 9212 times)

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Bridgeport J Head Pancake Motor
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2020, 04:28:52 PM »
Murray the box was drawn in an old version of Autocad, exported as a .DXF to Sheetcam where the G-Code was generated and the CNC plasma table  runs Mach3 driving the steppers - described here:

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11797.0.html

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 01:55:32 AM »
Just a thought Andrew, might it be possible to create a top cover?
Perhaps some careful machining would remove enough to enable pressing from the other side and then a fabricated cover to finish the modification.
John

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 02:07:27 AM »
John, when I have the Bridgeport back running with Murray’s motor I can bore some strategically placed holes to drive the stator out, but I don’t fancy drilling them with a Black and Decker!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 06:53:58 AM »
'but I don’t fancy drilling them with a Black and Decker!'

Understood  :clap:

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »
Today was scheduled to be Hedge Cutting with the flail on the tractor - especially long period of puppy sitting negotiated with the wife while I did it, and off I went. First pass went fine down the entire length of the ten acre field, second pass came to an abrupt stop 2/3 rds of the way down when I was covered in broken glass - door upper window and cab side window shattered - bit of a shock and a very loud bang. Seems I just touched the top of a fence post, a bit of which did the damage. About £120 worth of glass brought a halt to hedge cutting. Contemplating replacing them with Polycarbonate.

However every cloud has a silver lining they say - I then had time to finish fitting the Bridgeport single speed motor - hooray I have a working mill back - thanks Murray.

I'd just finished putting the tractor away and what should turn up but a dual speed Bridgeport motor complete with pulley and switch - brand new - not free but I hadn't actually expected it to materialise. Seems these motors are like No 11 buses - none for ages then two turn up !

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:26:19 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2020, 01:55:17 PM »
Go with the poly carbonate!! read a scary story about a guy who was hit in the chest by a small fragment of rusty fence wire, and didn't know why he had chest pains and went to hospital with a suspected heart attack, and it showed up on an xray. Didnt even know anything had penetrated his body. Problem is there is no easy way to put a guard on them without blocking the view of what yer doin! Be safe out there ppl!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?