Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Stihl trimmer bearing

<< < (4/4)

vtsteam:
The problem with vegetable oils is they oxidize -- they are the original basis for oil paint (as in fine art) and can clog sintered bushings. Use any mineral based oil (it doesn't oxidize. Paint thinner, kerosene (parrafin Br.), lighter fluid, or, if you're careful, and outdoors gasoline (petrol). I wouldn't use brake cleaner, toluene, acetone, or any of the whole alcohol group. Keep it in the mineral oil family. Then when it's time to re-lube the bearing (if you're going to save it) soak in a light automotive oil. Heat helps.

russ57:
Success
After soaking in petrol for a week with no success, I eventually took the plunge and heated it gently, dropped it into a tin of (petroleum based solvent which I won't name but something with a higher flashpoint would have been better) which resulted in a little bit of bubbling and a lot of black. After that treatment it was quite free.
I then warmed it again, dropped into motor oil. It again went black.

After that I don't think it was quite as free but I reassembled and tidied up the lawn/grass/weeds/jungle.

(I was reluctant to heat too much as the housing is diecast, and I'm suspicious there is some sort of seal inside that hex collar which potentially is a plastic).

Russ

-russ

awemawson:
Excellent  :thumbup:

A bit a heat often helps.  I was struggling yesterday to unscrew the left hand threaded nut on my Pedrazzoli cold saw to change the blade, but tickling it with a propane torch quickly had it undone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version