Author Topic: UK Scraping contingent...  (Read 10294 times)

Offline HughF

UK Scraping contingent...
« on: August 27, 2020, 05:08:37 AM »
Howdy all... long time away from this forum for various reasons (I wish there were a better reason aside from 'life has been busy')...

I haven't done any scraping since the class, I've been busy using my machines in the condition they were in, but I'm looking to revisit a straight edge I got from Kev (tiggydorset over on the welding forum) and possibly working on whatever new lathe I end up with (I'm looking for a new lathe)...

Just curious to see who's about, who's scraping on what, and also whether anyone knows anything about an upcoming class in Essex this autumn hosted by someone who I know only as 'lookcreations' on YouTube and Instagram?

Offline mattinker

Re: UK Scraping contingent...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 07:29:09 AM »
Hugh,

I started a thread a while ago, on here about what I'd been scrapping, since then, I've finished scraping the Clarkson, milled oil grouves in it, made way covers and nearly got it back together. I'm working towards making a video about it and the tools that I made to scrape it. Several projects on the go, including a low speed grinder. Casting not scrapping!

Cheers, Matthew.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 08:22:00 AM »
Still here Hugh, scraping my hands, not scraping a living, and not scraping iron . . but still here  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
I've been doing the odd scraping job here and there as time permits. I have scraped the cross slide and compound slide of my Hardinge lathe, the same for my South Bend lathe, and I've scraped all of the ways of my Eagle surface grinder which was quite a lot of work. Scraped the lid of a leaking Meddings drill gearbox to the body to stop it leaking (that was very satisfying because even plastered in gasket sealer it would still leak, but after scraping it needed no sealer at all). Done several straight edges and small surface plates. Also helped several people get going with the basics of scraping so that they can do the same.