Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Bevel Gear Mill

<< < (3/14) > >>

vtsteam:
Okay, getting down to brass tacks, let's say we just want to cut  1" dia 16 tooth bevel gears.

(I have a good size model engine that has a set of Boston bevel gears that size. Seems like a good one to settle on.)

awemawson:
IIRC Machinery's Handbook has the table of offsets

Joules:
i would start by looking at the range of gears you want, are they all 45 degree bevel.  You can use a swivel bed plate for offsetting the cutters, right and left hand cutter profiles needed, assuming they are shaper cut.  Different sizes will need different focal points, will this be on an adjustable shaft with spacers, or dowel pins in the swivel plate.  The swivel plate can accommodate a range of gears with numbered peg holes for setup, that should speed things.  Using an index plate for the teeth one circle for each cut, so three circles per plate, left, centre and right.

LOL  I would 3D print this as a mock up to test the ideas before committing to metal.

vtsteam:
Yup all 45 degree bevel.

re. indexing. Simpler would be one circle per tooth number on the index plate and then have offset peg holes for the three cuts, like a vernier collet spinner.

LOL, much rather work in metal directly by brain and eye for something this simple. Different folks, different strokes. :beer:

Andrew, you are right. Hand shaper appeals mightily vs motors, spindles, electric cords. Let's get really basic! Thanks for that suggestion, it's perfect.  :beer:

Joules:
Your offset peg holes might not take into account the different angles per tooth count, but an offset peg bar per gear might do the job.   I was just thinking one disc per gear, and hole circle per cutter making it simple for anyone to operate, not just yourself.

i should have added, having offsetting holes might also lead to selecting the wrong one if they carry a few gears offsets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version