The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Trying to Quieten the 110KVA Generator

<< < (2/24) > >>

awemawson:
John I made one of similar construction for a little 2.2 kVA generator that I've had for years - not stainless but mild steel but it's still going strong.

I've been cogitating how to cut this sandwich panel - the core is no problem but what about the steel outer layers :scratch: Then I remembered how, using my welding bench to support a sheet of plywood for cutting, I'd cut a slit in the 3/4" steel accidentally with my old Hitachi Skill Saw.

So this morning I did a quick trial cut and it's definitely the way to go  :thumbup: The blade is already old with at least one chipped tungsten carbide tip so if it has eventually to be replaced it's due anyway.

awemawson:
So in another of my permitted one hour bursts of activity I've pretty well 'cleared the decks' in the Stable to prepare for wall building - just a couple of feed bins to move but they can be shunted about in the stable as work progresses.

The rest has found a temporary home in the tractor shed despite NOT being tractors!

Thank goodness for Pallets and Forklift Trucks  :clap:

awemawson:
Not much done due to puppy syndrome, BUT a major achievement was getting the upper angle iron in place.

Six meters long and weighing 75 kgs I dragged it out with the fork lift at the beginning of one of my 60 minutes sessions. Couldn’t lift it into place as the mast of the forklift would need to go 3 foot through the roof ! I was scratching my head how to build a frame onto the forks when one of our cottage guests happened by to see what I was up to. In no time at all he had volunteered, and as a two man lift it was relatively easy to rest one end on the first RSJ then walk the other up a ladder and slide it into place. The rest of the wall should be easy now that first angle is in place

djc:
Classic way to lift stuff with a forklift near to the roof is as:

https://fleggprojects.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/deliver-install-link.jpg

These are also good: http://www.sumner.com/sumner/sub/productb/main.21.7.8.21.0.0.html

Can do similar on a Genie lift by turning the forks upside down.

Anyway, on the sandwich panel cutting, be careful it does not close up on you at the end of the cut and pinch the blade. I cut the same style of insulated panels for walk-in cold rooms (craftsmen of wood, look away now - I use a Festool TS55) and even when fully supported on a sheet of ply, within about 3 inches of the end, it will grab. When I get near the end of the cut, I lift the panel and put an offcut of ply directly under the cut, so the outer edges of the sheet are in mid-air. Then the self-weight of the panel makes the cut open up.

awemawson:
Good point about the panels closing up, I had a 9" angle grinder pinch when cutting channel section that resulted in me seeing bare leg bone  :bugeye: Fortunately my son was there to cut the power as the grinder flew through the air. He was about 12 then and is now 40 but I still have the angle grinder  and the scar!

A chap who rents one of my containers has a Genie Lift in it, but is rarely here to scrounge from!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version