Author Topic: A Bit of Lateral Thinking  (Read 3193 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
A Bit of Lateral Thinking
« on: August 10, 2020, 07:22:52 AM »
Sorting the foundry out has let me work out a more logical layout for the adjacent welding shop. Having removed two one metre bays of shelving let me find homes for the Linisher, Corner Notcher and Bandsaw and the other day I wired up three 16 amp three phase sockets to feed them. Why three (notcher is foot powered) ? Well I'd hoped to squeeze the Polishing Spindle into the space that finally took the Notcher but realistically it was too tight.

SO - where to put the Polishing Spindle and how to power it? When I first got it, it stood rather precariously on a square foot intended to be bolted to the floor - very good if you know where it is going to stay but I didn't. So I rolled up a 27" diameter band of  steel and cast the foot into a five inch thick slab of concrete - other concrete works were happening at the time and this was the 'left overs' and being a circle with a pole sticking out it could be moved by rolling at a pinch.

Well inevitably it ended up in the middle of the floor, in the way, trailing lead (415v!) and spikes on both ends of the spindle to catch your arm - not ideal. So WHERE can it go? I've run out of wall space.

Now working with the current layout you get used to things where they are and don't question their location. I need a bit of wall, preferably near a 16 amp 3 Phase socket - hang on - WHY does the folder need to be up against the wall - move it forwards three foot, pop the polishing spindle behind it, and use the socket that's been inaccessible since you got the folder and there's STILL room to drive the Fork Lift through to the foundry.

. . . WOW . . .Space  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

Re: A Bit of Lateral Thinking
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 03:17:14 PM »
Sorting out what goes where is something I do a bit of every time I tidy up, it is still a long way from perfect, but like you, order is being pulled from the jaws of chaos!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?