Author Topic: A Five Minute Agricultural Job  (Read 3266 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
A Five Minute Agricultural Job
« on: August 08, 2020, 04:24:40 AM »
I had one of those 'five minute jobs' brought to me last night  :bugeye:

This is a 'Hop Pole Podger' used to make the holes in the ground to insert hop poles for . . . growing hops !

Just a bit of unknown steel bar approx 33 mm diameter (well it tapers so probably blacksmith made years ago) with a ball on one end and a point on the other - but this one must have had a bit of a hard life as it was bent like a banana.

A job for the 60 ton Epco press which does this thing remarkably well so long as the bar doesn't tend to rotate. Squint down it, note the worse bend, set that uppermost, squash it past flat to allow for spring back, rinse and repeat. It only took three squashes and surprisingly little pressure - only a couple of tons amazingly.

My fall back plan had been to put it in the crucible of the induction furnace, heat it to glowing red and bend it hot, but that wasn't need this time.

A five minute job that actually took five minutes  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: A Five Minute Agricultural Job
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 02:11:52 AM »
Steady on there Andrew!
     That's setting a bad precedent, we all know 5 minute jobs are supposed to take ages. Bet you were pleasantly surprised.
  How come I can't find those sort?????   :Doh:

Regards from the Covid19 lock-down sate in OZ,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline John Rudd

Re: A Five Minute Agricultural Job
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 03:57:46 AM »
I had one of those 'five minute jobs' brought to me last night  :bugeye:

My fall back plan had been to put it in the crucible of the induction furnace, heat it to glowing red and bend it hot, but that wasn't need this time.

A five minute job that actually took five minutes  :lol:

Ahh you just love playingvwith toys...... :lol: :lol:

It would have taken longer had you used the ih? By the time you fired up the gen set etc.....the job done on the press in less time less risk of burning your pinkies too :lol:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors