Author Topic: Old machine tools.  (Read 2628 times)

Offline timby

Old machine tools.
« on: July 13, 2020, 04:24:55 PM »
I am regularly looking at the older machine tools on offer on Ebay.

This lathe looks like it would be an interesting project for someone.

Looks like it has a geared head which is unusual for a small lathe.

Can anyone tell me who the maker was?   American I think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-LATHE-SHED-FIND/333648687346

Offline mc

Re: Old machine tools.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »
Having a look for AM on lathes.co.uk turns up American Machine - http://www.lathes.co.uk/american-machine-tool-co/

Basic machine looks very similar, so I'm going to guess there must have been a version with a gearbox as an option.

Offline timby

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 04:20:24 PM »
MC,   

You are off on a false trail, the  A M  plate that you have seen on the right hand leg is an ownership plate.
During WW2 the Air Ministry owned a pool of machine tools that they allocated as required, my Archdale Mill. was ex Air Ministry  the plate had a property number and the date  which was 1944.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 04:39:19 PM »
Close examination of the red brass plate says that it was re-built (in Manchester) in 1958. Probably a 'lend lease' machine during WW2.

As it's equipped with a hand operated collet closer it's probably been a 'second operation' machine in a factory somewhere. The motor is obviously not original, and probably more recent than the 1958 rebuild.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mc

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »
MC,   

You are off on a false trail, the  A M  plate that you have seen on the right hand leg is an ownership plate.
During WW2 the Air Ministry owned a pool of machine tools that they allocated as required, my Archdale Mill. was ex Air Ministry  the plate had a property number and the date  which was 1944.

Interesting to know, but it's still very AMT like.
Carriage assembly is very similar, and the tail stock end feedscrew mount is pretty much identical.

It would interesting to see what the plates on the headstock and gearbox cover say.

Offline timby

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
It has sold for only £97,  that is a bargain for someone especially as the motor is single phase .