Author Topic: On the floor  (Read 3267 times)

Offline John Rudd

On the floor
« on: July 31, 2020, 01:01:35 PM »
I'm currently painting the floor of my garage....( it just about passes for a workshop :lol: )
Once complete, I think I'll have some form of covering in front of my lathe/mill where I stand when working...,p
So what is the usual stuff to put on the floor?

I'm not expecting to spend like 8 hours a day but would like something that will prevent fatigue..
What do you have on your floor ? Is it comfortable while stood in front of your machine?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: On the floor
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »
OSB3 (the damp proof version) screwed down on 18 " centres, then painted with garage floor paint
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
Rubber mat with big holes in it works well in my shop.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »
Recycled crumb rubber matting squares, they can be kicked about between machines or propped up against the wall.  I used to do upto 6hrs straight working on them, even more comfy with a pair of old Doc Martins.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline philf

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 05:01:27 PM »
Like Welding Rod I use rubber mats with big holes in it. Swarf goes down the holes so doesn't get embedded in the soles of your shoes. I bought three from Aldi earlier in the year. If they get them in again I'll buy some more. It's made such an improvement over standing on a concrete floor.
Phil Fern

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 05:02:30 PM »
Wooden decking tiles, 45cm square. Often, on offer at various diy's.....  :thumbup:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 01:07:57 AM »
I use cheap interlocking rubber / foam plastic matting meant for kids play area. I got them from a place called Clark Rubber here in OZ. Clark Rubber deal with many different types / forms of foam plastic and rubber. Swimming pool hosing etc which also works to extend the vac hose with easily made couplers to suit.

I find these mats really good plus I can toss em outside and sweep up.    Well, occasionally sweep when the swarf around the edges gets annoying.

Mostly I do a quick run over with the shop vac after I vac the lathe or mill beds before I leave the playpen for the day. Gives me a clear field to create more mess next time.   :mmr:
Incidentally, I use a simple cyclonic separator in the vac hose line and very little swarf actually gets into the vac bag.

John B 
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)