Author Topic: DIY tangential tool | Diamond Tool Holder and plans in video description  (Read 3488 times)

Offline celsoari

How i made my tangential tool / Diamond Tool Holder:

Greetings from Brazil

Offline mattinker

celsoari,

Interesting and usefull! I have my own left and right cutting versions of the same, the right hand version has become my go to right hand lathe tool. mine are made in a very different way, video of the left hand tool being edited at the moment!

Cheers, Matthew

Offline SwarfnStuff

Great to see your version.
    These are great, specially because of ease of sharpening / grinding. Also my go to tool but my holders (Left and Right) were bought from Eccentric Engineering a few years back.

I'm not sure they make the small holder any more - at least not identical to mine of 5 years or so back.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
I remember these coming out semi-commercially many years back, made by a chap in Australia if I remember correctly. Probably in the late 80's or early '90s. I always intended to make one, so well done - you did!

I suspect I dropped the idea when I went over almost exclusively to index-able tooling. But the tangential ones are a very clever idea, especially as they are so easy to re-grind back to sharp after that oops moment!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline SwarfnStuff

Andrew and all,
    Yep and they are still being made here in OZ by the same chap although the originals were designed by another Australian as far as I know. Not cheap but really good stuff.

Anyway, here's the web site for Eccentric Engineering for those interested.
  https://eccentricengineering.com.au/

Regards
John B

Offline mattinker

John B

The Australian who invented the tangential tool holder wax Freeby Bergerp. Wgen I started to think about making one there wasn't a lot of tnformation about. Now it's quite easy to find on the web.

Regards, Matthew

Offline timby

It seems that Freeby Berger was an American and was making his toolholders before the Australian version.

I like the versions on this website, 

http://www.twoofthem.org/richardsshop/RichardsShop/Freeby.html

Offline PekkaNF

Ifanger (swiaa) and Komet (German/swedish?/Usa?)) have been makin that sorts of tools pretty long.

https://www.ifanger.com/system-ifanger-86.html

Could not find the picure of Comet tool, but style lokeed like 1940s.

I don't know who made the first and where, but I have seen that type of tools on pretty old books and some still pop out on ebay etc.

Offline SwarfnStuff

Ah well,
     I did say, "as far as I know" before the bit about the tool development by an Australian.
   So I stand corrected.

Whoever was first it is still a great tool for ease of grinding and use but there often comes a time where we might need to grind our own tool to suit a particular job. Something I have yet to get anywhere proficient at.

John B

Offline borriss

The Australian inventor of the tangential tool holder was a gentleman called Des Burke from Melbourne. Borriss

Offline mattinker

The Australian inventor of the tangential tool holder was a gentleman called Des Burke from Melbourne. Borriss

Oooops, getting my Burkes and my Bergers mixed up!