The Shop > CNC

Don't Forget to Change Your Backup Batteries !

<< < (2/3) > >>

awemawson:
I've heard of Contraves but never seen one, but I seem to remember that they have a reputation for being expensive to repair - but that's only hearsay.

nrml:
Google calendar is a godsend for these things along with birthdays and wedding anniversaries :palm:. You get emails and text messages to remind you as close to the event as you choose to set it.

AdeV:

--- Quote from: awemawson on July 14, 2020, 11:57:07 AM ---...I seem to remember that they have a reputation for being expensive to repair - but that's only hearsay.

--- End quote ---

Sounds about right....

I have a spare motor (picked up for relatively cheap on fleaBay), but no spare controller...

Maybe I should rig the spare up on the bench & start experimenting with mosfets!  :lol: :zap: :zap: :zap:

awemawson:
IIRC the Mentor is basically a massive H bridge driven by some cunning microprocessor trickery. The field winding is excited separately by another unit.

AdeV:

--- Quote from: awemawson on July 14, 2020, 03:18:43 PM ---IIRC the Mentor is basically a massive H bridge driven by some cunning microprocessor trickery. The field winding is excited separately by another unit.

--- End quote ---

I think that's basically true of the Contraves as well. It uses thyristors (must google them again, but IIRC they're like old-school high power mosfets) to provide the drive. I'm fairly sure it's the field exciter circuit that's let the smoke out this time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version