Author Topic: Website hosting, recommended cheap ?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Website hosting, recommended cheap ?
« on: June 30, 2020, 11:19:49 AM »
Any good deals out there to host a small personal website?

Most of the cheap deals are a catch afaics.

Bill
Bill

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Website hosting, recommended cheap ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 12:47:53 PM »
Hi Bill,

Ionos hosts my Virtual server(s), but they do websites too.

https://www.ionos.com/

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 04:17:34 PM »
I assume you know places like Godaddy are aimed at 12yr olds and the management GUI is dumber than dumb making proper IT admin a pain.
Also most places are locked into wordpress so again old fashioned website updating using a brain cell or two for structured file organisation is out.
When I was our club website manager we used 1&1 which sold out to Ionos and it was as cheap as we could find, probably is. When the new admin took over he uses WP so it stomped all over my files which are still there but inaccessible to the web. All has to be in WP format for wysiwig.
The only problem we had with them was a sneaky bit of upselling. They 'gave' us a free upgrade we didn't need then next year made it part of our package, almost double cost but billed only 6 months not a year so the treasurer didn't notice as teh sum looked normal. Very very underhand in my view. I did spot it later but we lost about a year's subscription equivalent.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 04:43:49 AM »
Thanks guys :beer:

I'm reluctant to use wp or any of the hosts that force one to use their software. I just want a few megabytes of  space and I'll provide the HTML.

The search continues...

Bill

Offline JHovel

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 05:20:06 AM »
I use have been using for many many years Dircetnic.com and Webhostingworld.com Every couple of years there is a problem (probably related to upgrades somewhere in their systems) but both have always responded quickly and reliable - and have never lost any data.
I use Sitebuilder on one site and do my own HTML on the others... They are both quite cheap - like $20 a year plus the domain fees about the same or a bit less.
Cheers,
Joe