Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Self-Shielded Flux-Cored Welding: Choosing Your Gun?

<< < (2/2)

ddmckee54:
PekkaNF:

I made a custom flexible boot for the hot block on my 3D printer using some high-temp silicon RTV gasket goop in a 3D printed mold.  The kind of high-temp gasket goop that you can get at any auto parts store.  The boot has been in use for a couple of years now and has probably a couple hundred hours of use on it with no issues.  My printer's not as nasty of an environment as a welding gun, but something like that might work for you as a consumable.  (You can always make a replacement when it craps out.)

The mold parts only took a couple of hours to print and making the actual boot only takes a couple of minutes, of course you've got to wait overnight for the RTV to cure.

Don

PekkaNF:
Thank you. That is a very good idea indeed. There is a high temperature caulking for fire place use. Wonder how that could compare to RTV silicon.

WeldingRod:
Really, all the silicones are good to high temp...  some are more oil resistant, though.  Fluorosilicone is more oil friendly, if I remember.

I suggest diluting silicone caulk with paint thinner and soaking it into fiberglass.  Then, smear more silicone on and wrap a few layers around the nozzle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version