Author Topic: Tinkering with Pots and Pans  (Read 3474 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Tinkering with Pots and Pans
« on: June 19, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
As many of you will know having followed some of my recent projects I have very little to do all day (NOT!)

So some of my friends bring me 'can you just . . ' things to sort out to stop me getting bored (or is that to stop me getting on!)

One such job came in a couple of days ago - two stainless steel sauce pans, both of which had detached handles as it would seem that the attaching rivets had dissolved  :bugeye: Could I weld them back together  :bang:

. . .well no, the correct thing to do is to re-rivet them. Now my stock of stainless steel rivets is ZERO, and my stock of stainless steel bar approaches zero, but I did manage to find an odd bit of 'something not very magnetic' that is probably stainless from which I might JUST squeeze four rivets if I'm careful.

No idea what the grade is - it turns passably, work hardens horribly, but we got through without breaking a parting tool, which is a distinct bonus :thumbup:

My initial thought was to hot set them, but manipulating the torch, a hammer, a rivet and pan and handle, especially as the rivets going through the handle radially were difficult to put in, made me change my mind and cold set them over the beak of the anvil. They came out passably, but for the second pan I did extend the shank of the rivet 1.5 mm as the first was touch and go and involved marring the handle.

They've come out OK.

I suspect that a dish washer was responsible for the previous ones dissolving, so there is no guessing how long these will last !

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
Re: Tinkering with Pots and Pans
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »
I am very lucky, I have only lived in my current house for a couple of years and none of my neighbours is aware of my workshop facilities so I never get any 'can you just' jobs. But I do get asked to cut my neighbours hedge and lawn, that only takes a short time and earns me lots of Brownie points.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 12:08:44 AM »
Golly Andrew,
        In this day of, "toss it get new" most would toss those saucepans out. Kudos to both you and your friends for saving them there pots.
       So far I've managed to dodge the, "could you please just jobs"  - apart from family, they're a tad difficult to avoid.
     Still keeps us doing stuff.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 01:46:46 AM »
Nicely done, Andrew.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 02:26:13 AM »
Yesterday’s ‘can you please’ was can you please make a pair of stirrups for a two year old to ride a pony as his small foot slips through normal ones.

After taking a tracing of the child’s wellie boot a simple flat design was sketched and cut in 6 mm plate on the CNC plasma table with a supporting strap that threads through and goes under. I’ll try and get a picture from his mother to explain what I mean.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 06:32:37 AM »
Picture of childs stirrup hanging on strap attached
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 09:06:20 AM »
I think the whole child, let alone its foot, could slip through there  :D

The wellies have heels? If not, not a very sensible thing to be riding in.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 10:40:13 AM »
That sits in the instep of the wellie - or rather the instep sits on that and is the same width plus tolerance - and apparently they work well but I'm not into horsey things !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »
If I understand you correctly you're saying that the foot is resting on the webbing with the bar across the instep?

Better than nothing I suppose.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 01:05:11 PM »
No, the webbing strap is supporting the buckle shape that supports the foot. Effectively the metal bit is just a spreader for the strap. 

If it was here I’d photo it complete with child, pony and boot, but thankfully it isn’t  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »
Well, that's what I'd assumed. How is that safer then? Just because there's a solid base for the boot doesn't mean that the child's foot can't go forward and get caught in the strap.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 02:55:28 PM »
It's what the mother wanted, and sketched so I'm NOT the design authority  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »
I'm not blaming you, Andrew. I just don't think that it's a solution to the problem. It's her problem.