Author Topic: What can I use Toluene For ?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
What can I use Toluene For ?
« on: June 09, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »
I find myself with a large(ish) quantity of Toluene - 25 litres to be precise what can I use it for ?

I know it's a constituent in some paints and paint thinners but what else is it useful for - I believe it's not the best thing to be breathing in.

NO I DON'T want to make Tri-Nitro-Toluene before anyone suggests it  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
Re: What can I use Toluene For ?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 04:46:34 PM »
Thinners, degreasing.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 06:35:25 PM »
It's fantastic for degreasing - but don't use it in one of those Machine Mart part washers, because it WILL dissolve the pump (don't ask me how I know this! Also don't ask me why I have a "double decker" parts washer!)

I believe it's carcinogenic, which is not good.

Empty Toluene containers are epic if you set fire to the residual vapours (obvs. out doors, and from a distance)...

Can be electrolysed to make bitter almond oil, which is a precursor to certain recreational "medications".... not to be advised! It smells amazing though, and apparently has some medicinal uses which aren't related to a certain "Breaking Bad" chemical!

I'd advise keeping it in a metal drum, if you can, it quite likes to eat plastic...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 06:44:40 AM »
Fuel system cleaner and octane-booster. When I was doing landspeed racing three of the guys decided to get s drum of it and create home-brew high octane fuel. All three melted their engines on the first run, and they had to re-name it 'too lean'.

Offline edward

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 07:34:49 AM »
I use it for cleanup on fabric and latex surfaces before gluing with waterproof contact adhesive when I repair my diving drysuits. I bought 5L of it and must have used a whole 200ml in the last 10 years!