Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

SIP coax indicator

<< < (2/3) > >>

BillTodd:

--- Quote from: PekkaNF on May 22, 2020, 11:26:34 AM ---I want to see how this works out. This is very interesting. I am wondering if it needs spring loading anywhere to take up lost movement or is there somewhere some safe flex to keep this solid without crush?

--- End quote ---

This was designed to work with a SIP jig-borer. I suspect its spindle can be lowered to any height without it springing back .

I've designed another, slightly simplified, version with a spring offset in the bottom pivot (the inverted cone) . Thinking about it, I decided the top could not move since it would effect the reading (wouldn't make it inaccurate , just a PITA to use)

I've offset the spring to make sure there is a bias on the bottom pivot so is does not wobble and cause erroneous readings.

This afternoon I roughed out a body in 7071 and, visitors allowing (crisis , what crisis?) , should make more progress this weekend.

BillTodd:
Body nearly finish (both the indicator's and mine!)

Sea.dog:
That's coming along nicely. However, I've looked at this post several times and can't understand how the whole lot stays together. There seems to be no positive location of the main body to the spindle in the chuck. From the drawing it seems to float against a centre, defying gravity  :scratch:

BillTodd:
It is in three parts:

a centre with arm and pin that  is fixed into the spindle. It is turned manually (spindle  in neutral)

A centring ball (in this case fitted to a rotary table, but could be fitted to any feature to be located)

An indicator that ia sandwiched between the two. On the original SIP jig borer the quill would lightly press the parts together, for my knee mill I have had to add a spring between the bottom cone and the body , to keep the indicator pushed up against the locked quill.

Sea.dog:
Hence your comment about whether or not the centre should be spring loaded  :Doh:

I did wonder about the ball, but thought that it was a rather elaborate piece for swinging around, gauging the centre from its surface. I had the traditional coaxial indicator firmly lodged in my brain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version