Author Topic: Boxford 8" shaper  (Read 54402 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Boxford 8" shaper
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2009, 02:06:27 PM »
...just missing an autostop ...but then you can`t have everything can you!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »
At least I have those, in both directions......but I would like a down feed cos operating that by hand when it's running is a whole barrel of fun... :bang:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2009, 02:29:30 PM »
At least I have those, in both directions......but I would like a down feed cos operating that by hand when it's running is a whole barrel of fun... :bang:

Auto downfeed for shapers is on the drawing board already!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
Hope you like:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2009, 05:07:32 PM »
That's a nice looking machine you have there Chris, well done on the motor work..... :thumbup:

Next big leap won't be far away now...... :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2009, 02:13:42 AM »
Thats is a nice machine Chris good job on the motor as well.

You could make dove tails on that no problem.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2009, 02:19:47 AM »
That`s a really nice machine Chris!  :thumbup:

Much smaller than I imagined it would be.....

Blummin well done!  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2009, 05:12:02 AM »
 :doh: can't see the pic here! Was too late to look last night!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
Hi Nick, it is a youtube video so I guess it is blocked at work - same here if it is any conselation! Hope you can see it when you get home

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »
Chris ............ If I had room I'd store it for you ............ just as a favour  ::) ........... shame I cant, but well done on the restoration, nice work  :headbang:

Have fun with it, when I need ow't "Shaped" look our for a Jiffy Bag  :beer:

CC  :thumbup:

Offline ScrapMaker

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2009, 04:16:12 PM »
Excellent vid, I've always been curious about shapers, but after all of the useful info on this site aloen about them. I can see that one would be a valuable asset to any hope shop machinist. I know I'll be keeping alot closer look out for one.
Room shouldnt be too much of a problem now that I've just sorted out a 520sq ft shop fo myself  :headbang:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
Just seen the vid, nice 1 Chris.

It looks like it already has the tool holder on it though?

Nick

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »
Room shouldnt be too much of a problem now that I've just sorted out a 520sq ft shop fo myself  :headbang:  

And of course you realise we all "Hate" you now  ::)

:bugeye: ............ Good luck with the new shop ............ yup we are all envious, but .......... pictures are mandatory  :thumbup:

Good Luck ...  :beer:  ..........  CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2009, 05:30:30 PM »
520sqft.....nice one Scrapmaker....very nice..... :thumbup:

Offline kvom

« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2009, 07:59:23 PM »
You got a nice finish on that air you were cutting in the vid.   :ddb: :lol:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2009, 01:37:31 AM »
You got a nice finish on that air you were cutting in the vid.   :ddb: :lol:

And that's not just any air, it is work hardened stainless air.  :lol:

Well done on getting it going Chris  :clap: :clap:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2009, 07:00:15 AM »
Don`t be silly guys, there was no finish on the air as there was no tool in the holder!!! I`ll show you an example of a nice finish on the air later....  :ddb:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2009, 07:07:07 AM »
Think you'll have fun with that Chris it certainly adds another dimension to your workshop. My horizontal mill could do too, but I think by selling it and using the funds I can add a better dimension!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2009, 05:33:30 PM »
Wahoooo  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: It cuts - lol, I know it meant to but it works! I have cut half a dove tail, it probably took about 20 minutes as I was feeding very slow but it certainly worked. It was a bit funny, at times it "felt" really good, really shaving off the metal but then a couple of times it felt like it was rubbing a bit rather than cutting and was a little noisy. I need to identify why it was cutting good at times and not appearing to at others. I don`t know, it could have just been the sound as it hit different parts of the metal as it worked it way through? Or maybe the tool at different areas of the cut? I guess with a dovetail there is quite a long cutting surface.

My plan is to rough this out with the shaper and then cut it true with the dovetail cutter in the mill. The shapper tool is just a fraction less than 45 so that I`ll have a little to take off to size up with the dovetail cutter.  Again, sorry I know  :worthless: as they mean so much to me when I`m reading posts but with it not being at my house I forgot the camera! I`ll take some next time when I cut the other side.

NickG - what you going to buy with your horizontal mill money when you sell? I have fancied a horizontal mill for gear cutting eventually...

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2009, 05:45:32 PM »
Wahoooo  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: It cuts - lol, I know it meant to but it works! I have cut half a dove tail, it probably took about 20 minutes as I was feeding very slow but it certainly worked. It was a bit funny, at times it "felt" really good, really shaving off the metal but then a couple of times it felt like it was rubbing a bit rather than cutting and was a little noisy. I need to identify why it was cutting good at times and not appearing to at others. I don`t know, it could have just been the sound as it hit different parts of the metal as it worked it way through? Or maybe the tool at different areas of the cut? I guess with a dovetail there is quite a long cutting surface.

You just need some practice, and try different feeds/depths of cuts and tool grinds

My plan is to rough this out with the shaper and then cut it true with the dovetail cutter in the mill. The shapper tool is just a fraction less than 45 so that I`ll have a little to take off to size up with the dovetail cutter. 

You'll get a better smoother finish with the shaper. use the topslide set over for the angles.

Brill, really pleased for you. A bit more playing any you'll begin to realise just how good a shaper is to have around.... :thumbup:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2009, 06:23:40 PM »
One of my shaper lessons was that the clapper must be free and it must fall back every time.  What was happening on my little shaper was the clapper would sometimes fail to fall down so one cut was missed but as the feed was continuing regardless the next time the clapper did fall there would be a massive overdeep cut and a terrible mess! :doh:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
Sounds great Chris, I've always disregarded shapers but after reading posts on here lately they do have some great uses.

Just bits and pieces if I sell the mill chris, rotary table, QCTP if I don't make one and power hacksaw etc.

Darren had a brainwave for the mill though, could try to covert into a bit of a surface grinder. It lends itself well as would be easy to mount another spindle on top, the drive pulley is there right next to it and the logitudinal feed on the bed can be done with a lever / rack & pinion. Hmm!

Nick

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2009, 02:29:09 PM »
I`m finally cutting metal but I have another problem now and I`ve tried all morning to rectify it with no avail. When I`m cutting, I`m ending up with a deeper cut at the end closest to the start of the ram stroke. I thought at first that my vice wasn`t level and sloping down towards the ram, causing a deeper cut at that end but after checking it with a guage, it wasn`t that. I set it all back up again and figured out what it was. Basically, as the ram hits the first cutting edge of the metal, it jumps up a bit on the clapper. Consequently it isn`t taking the full cut, only on the initial couple of mm before it jumps up. It then "falls off" the work at the other end, only to correctly bounce back up on the clapper for the return stroke. If I put pressure downwards on the tool holder for the rams forward stroke, the correct cut is taken! I can`t understand why the hell it is doing it but more importantly, can`t see how to fix it! Any way of stopping the clapper from lifting on the forward stroke would surely stop it lifting on the return?

Could it be the tool profile? I tried using a very sharp point and it didn`t do it as much (still did it!) but obviously ended up with a terrible finish. When I try a more rounded point it just starts jumping on the ram.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
.....and just to say, when I was cutting the dovetails I didn`t notice this as the toolpost couldn`t jump as I was traversing horizontally with the tool and cutting with its side. It has only become apparent now, trying to take a normal cut with the bottom of the tool and feeding the tool down to take the cut.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2009, 08:27:52 PM »
Chris, I get effects like that if I am being too agressive with the cut, it starts deep but the tool gets flexed back a tad which has the effect of lightening the cut about half of a BSNW**.  You can also get strange effect if the clapper pin is no snug,  they as usually tapered and there is a very fine line between being snug enough and binding the clapper.

**British Standard Gnat's Whisker.