Author Topic: Boxford 8" shaper  (Read 54281 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Boxford 8" shaper
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2009, 02:03:49 AM »
Have you any way of adjusting the play in the ram:-  jib strips ? .It could be lifting when you put heavy cuts on.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2009, 04:22:18 AM »
Those were my thoughts too. Mine lifts slightly but doesn't seem to affect the cut. I read they are shimmed so I will have a look to see if one can be removed.
Sideways there are gib screws.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2009, 04:47:27 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions - I`ve only just got chance to take a look at it tonight. It is certainly the tool post jumping/lifting/bouncing up as it initially hits the work. There doesn`t seem to be any play in the ram - that looks very solid. There was a little play in the table, it was flexing down as the ram initially hit it, I thought I had sorted it but unfortunately it still does it!

Everything looks absolutely solid, just at the tool impacts the work it jumps up and really reduces the cut!

Any more advice....I`m really stuck with this one!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »
You have to look at the things that move, clapper, ram, downfeed slide, table etc and try to determine which bit is moving.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »
Ummmm.... reduce the depth of cut maybe?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2009, 02:07:22 AM »
Before doing any poking about on the machine, make sure you have a correctly ground up and razor sharp tool first.

If it has been working fine before, it can only be something you have introduced since.

Bogs

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2009, 02:26:05 AM »
Hmmmmm.... the more times I read this the more I think it is flexin in the tool and head assembly.  If putting down force on the tool holder makes it cut properly I think that just means it is not able to spring out of the work.  Suggestions,  reduce tool holder overhang,  reduce cut depth, try a different speed.

I would never be able to get Sally Shaper to cut straight down with a wide tool, I always have to use a pointed tool and use the square end or otherwise shaped tools for only very light finishing cuts.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2009, 01:42:05 PM »
Thanks for your advice but it is 100% the tool deflecting off the work piece and bouncing up! It seems crazy to think that it is bouncing up, the work piece should in theory be holding or forcing it the other way, or like John Hill posts, the tool is deflecting back but it is actually going the other way!!

Hope this makes some sense. I`ve tried everything, perhaps as John says, I need to check the angle and perhaps rake on the tooling? It really has stumped me.... and totally no use doing this! Just to repeat an earlier post, it was doing it when I was cutting my dovetails because the sides of the tool were doing the cutting and stopping it jumping up, it is just now when I have tried a normal cut and feeding down.

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2009, 01:54:37 PM »
OK may seem obvious but could I have it running too slow which is allowing it to bounce up? I`v got it on the slowest pully ratio so wondering if I should try a bit faster?

Clearly, if the shaper was here I`d just give it a go but I`ll have to wait until I go to my grandads again before I can so just airing my thoughts!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »
Chris,  I suggest start with a very, very slight depth of cut then slowly increase while watching what happens.

Maybe, if you have too much rake on the tool it is digging itself in until the chip is broken away then the tool springs back towards the surface.  You are lucky to have a powerful machine as in the same circumstances Sally Shaper would simply stall!

Higher speed may be better, it is difficult for me to say but I do recall it took me weeks of tinkering every evening before I could get a decent cut so do not despair!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:40:52 PM by John Hill »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »
 :thumbup: can`t wait to give it a go!

Chris

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »
Chris,
What material are you cutting, I know it maybe somewhere in the thread but it's been a loooooooooonnnnggggg day and I can't seem to find it ..........

is it readily machinable in the lathe and mill ........ just a thought

CC

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »
CC - I was originally cutting steel for the dovetails and then found this "bouncing" occuring when trying to put a normal cut on steel downwards. I have also tried brass and the same thing happens .... yes, totally machinable, the steel was even free cutting.

Chris

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »
OK, it's not "mystery metal" then  :coffee:   .....................  for some reason when the cutter hits the material it's not cutting but deflecting backwards until it clears the top of the work surface and bounces up  :bugeye: ......... got to be depth of cut and/or cutter profile imho.

CC