Author Topic: Large Tea tray  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
Large Tea tray
« on: May 03, 2020, 08:37:00 AM »
This seems to be the place for mad projects, so here's my offering.

Being tired of scrabbling about on the floor to service my mower, I thought I would make a tray to enable it to be lifted to a reasonable working height, on my two-post car lift .

The penny then dropped;  access would be somewhat limited by the four supporting arms of the lift. As the tray is so heavy it would need placing by machine anyway, so why not leave it on the machine forks?

Pic 1 Shows the tray.
Pic 2 Lifted.
Pic 3 The whole story.

Just need to devise a method of securing the mower to the forks to prevent it falling off.  :bugeye:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Large Tea tray
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »
Nice  :thumbup:

What's the all terrain fork lift, is it also a telehandler and what's it's lifting capacity - looks very useful ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 11:21:15 AM »
Nice  :thumbup:

What's the all terrain fork lift, is it also a telehandler and what's it's lifting capacity - looks very useful ?

It's an Avant 745. It will lift a bulk bag easily when the arm is extended. It does have one additional weight of the rear, + two side weights. The best things are the attachments though. There is one for almost everything. I did start off with the smaller versions that were 'supposed' to lift a ton bag, but kept p/xing them until I got to this fourth one. It's great for moving trees especially. This a pic of another mad project, my Man Cage. (Biggest problem with that is, if I'm in it, my wife has to drive. :) )

https://www.avanttecno.com/uk/attachments

As far as I'm concerned it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
PS I'm not on commission. :thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 12:34:53 PM by Spurry »

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »
Looks like you got a nice 'flying patch' there Pete...

Nice looking workshop too...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 12:42:44 PM »
Thanks John. That was the reason for moving here in the first place. Don't ask how many flights I've had since the move....
The working workshop is in another building, but that's a whole new level of complication. :)
Pete

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 05:37:08 PM »
Ah Ha, another Husky 320 AWD machine :jaw:.

Mine is not so pristine as its lost a few bits :bugeye:.

However, despite the Health'n'Effin safety notices mine has to cut 50 degree banks.

Photos to follow

Will,   Malahide Rugby Club
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 02:16:57 PM »
As my tea tray was originally envisaged as a platform to enable the mower to be raised on the 2 post lift, I finally got round to trying it today.
Access to the mower is not as bad as I thought it would be, restricted by the four arms. It's a doddle to clean the cutting deck and touch up the blades.
(Apologies to any of the younger members who don't find any difficulty scrambling about at floor level.)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 02:40:32 PM »
We just had to replace our ride on mower after 12 years of rusting away, as under the deck couldn't easily be cleaned and of course the wet, slightly acid grass did it's work.

The new one comes with a pair of male hosepipe adaptors fixed in the deck so as a last action before putting it to bed you lower the deck, connect the hose, and with the blade spinning underneath gets a turbo wash. Seems to work, but come back in ten yeas and ask again !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »
My Husky is about 9 years old, it has one hose connector on the deck. I think i have used it about 20 times
do not do it after every cut just a couple of times a year..The deck is still good as is the machine in general.
Thinking of a baby tractor next so what is the minimum HP i should look for if i want a baby flail for the hedges?
Have been looking at pictures of those Solis i think they are called...look ok for the money, and the 50hp model
has a cab for winter use.. :scratch:

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 05:04:48 PM »
Hi All,
I have heard that using the washing connections can force waster into the blade bearings ?
10+ years ago I bought a replacement secondhand deck for my ride on in very good condition
I got the deck sand blasted and then hot zinc dipped,
Last week a blade bearing went bad! A local bearing factors supplied new bearings and an AA blade interconnecting belt
The deck is still in perfect condition corrosion wise, I wish the rest of the machine was half as good  :(

John

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 05:59:40 PM »
When I removed the blades the first time, I was not that impressed with the design of the shields over the bearings. After just a few hours use, there was already debris inside them.  I made the plastic cover shells (shown) to replace the blades when cleaning the deck. As the ground is uneven and rough, the blades do get a bit of a hammering, so get sharpened quite often.

With regard to hedges, this baby is just the job. Fortunately, my neighbour owns the machine, and does my hedging whilst he has the flail attached.