The Craftmans Shop > General Crafts

Turret clock

<< < (2/5) > >>

awemawson:
Looking very good  Mike  :thumbup:

smiffy:
I was not happy with the escapement wheel so cut a new one and increased the the under cut from 10 to 15 degrees to make the lower pallet sit better onto the tooth
I do all the crossing out with a piercing saw and finish with a file which is very time consuming . I could do with a filing machine .
If I ever run out of projects I might make one but I do find hand filing very therapeutic.

I have also cut the main hands and finished the motion work . Just need to make a dial .

The clock is nearly finished and then I will have too find somewhere to put it ,maybe another shed as the house is full.

smiffy:
The motion work and drive gear is all in place . Tomorrow I will take some different pictures of the complete clock as the ones I took tonight did not come out too well .

russ57:

--- Quote from: smiffy on April 19, 2020, 05:49:02 PM ---

The clock is nearly finished and then I will have too find somewhere to put it ,maybe another shed as the house is full.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps the next project should be a turret...

-Russ

smiffy:
To build a clock tower will be my next project Russ.

Some years ago I obtained some oak to build a tower for a Clepsydra    https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11522.0.html

This is still an ongoing project .I did most of the frame but it has sat around waiting for me to pull my finger out.

The frame will be 8 feet square and 12 feet to the eaves and about 16 feet to the ridge

The main upright are 8 inch sq all the joints are mortise and tenon and held with oak pegs . The frame is 90 % finished .
The oak is not the best but it was cheap

I need to pour some concrete footings but due to the current situation the quarry where I usually buy ballast is closed as are most of our builders merchants.

I also have a full size turret clock which I originally intended to put in the tower so i might end up with 2 clocks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version