The Craftmans Shop > General Crafts

Turret clock

<< < (4/5) > >>

smiffy:
Managed to make some progress with the clock tower after having lots of problems like my poor old tractors starter motor throwing a tantrum. Not that much of a problem in its self but removing it with the loader arms down is another story. 
And I used to work on tractors for a living .glad that I gave it all up

The main reason to build the tower is to house my turret clock and a water impulsed clock that has a 12 foot long pendulum

THe other reason is we have fine views over the Shropshire hills and Black mountains  but we need to be a little higher to see them over the hedge .
So the top part will have a platform where to partake of the view while consuming a glass of red wine and admiring the stunning sun sets we get at this time of year
Still got to build more of the roof and infill the wall
 I also  have a large bread oven to install at ground level

awemawson:
Wow that's going to be a local landmark for navigation  :clap:

smiffy:
 Yes Andrew it is quite large .Fortunately it can not be seen from the road but it is 19 feet tall so a fair size .

I cut some oak dowels to hold the mortise and tenon joints together . These will be cut to length and tapered . I bore the hole in the tenon about 5mm towards the shoulder so when the dowel is hammered home it pulls the joint tight . As all the wood is only rough sawn all the joints are scribed   when all the dowels are in it should become a very ridge structure .
All the timber framed houses were built like this . No metal nails or fixings are used

smiffy:
I did not like the tower where I first built it as it looked odd so moved it about 15 feet to a place where it fits in with some trees .
The main work is nearly finished I need to clad the walls .
 The 2 rear most walls I shall weather board as its cheap and quick to do . The infill for one side I will try and do in cleft chestnut
but I am having a problem to find suitable wood that is straight enough grained and long enough . The front I shall leave open at the moment .
The bread oven is in place and today  I fired it for the first time .
 The roof is western red cedar shingles
The next part will be to  install the clock . I am still going for a water implused free pendulum design similar to the one made by the Earl of Meath in 1906

awemawson:
That's quite an undertaking Mike, and looking good - I thought that I was the only crazy person on this forum  :lol:

Will the clock chime when the food is ready  :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version