The Craftmans Shop > General Crafts

Turret clock

(1/5) > >>

smiffy:
Some years ago I started to build a turret clock as described  by J Wilding in one of his books .

This was interrupted by a house move and all manor of other things . So I thought it was about time that I finished it .

The work still be done was to make the pendulum and suspension and the right angle drive and motion work for the remote clock .

The clock is fairly small being about 16 inches by 8 inches and would drive a clock of 2 feet in diameter.
The clock is of straight forward construction using a combination of pinions on the as the driving gears and lantern pinions as the driven gears

I have fitted a Grasshopper escarpment

The maintaining work is by bolt and shutter
To place the winding handle on the winding shaft you first have to lift a interlock which has a small weight on it to drive the clock while power is removed due to the winding the main weight up

As the interlock is moved a short section of gear engages with the intermediate and provides power to the going train

This is enough to drive the clock for about 1 minuet 

Mike

smiffy:
The Grasshopper escarpment     

philf:
Very nice Smiffy.

Fascinating to watch.

I think another MadModder,  Craynerd, is building the same clock.

Phil.

smiffy:
The main work still to do is the gear drive and motion work for the remote dial .

In most cases the main clock face would not be visible from the clock so there is a small clock face on the movement that is set the same as the main clock.
 This has a square drive on the input shaft which so can be turned to set both the small clock and main clock at the same time'
So there is no need to climb up to the main clock to set the time'
The drive  leaves the clock via adjustable bevel gears and a universal joint to another set of bevel gears which in turn drive the main clock .

I have made most of the clock parts and started cutting the motion work pinions and associated parts
 I cut what I can with a piecing saw a file to shape   
                                                                         Mike

smiffy:
Made some progress with the motion work for the main clock face .Except for the hands most of the machining work is now done.

All the small parts are very time consuming as except for the turned parts I cut and file by hand all the other parts .

The end of the minuet shaft has a 30 degree inclusive taper turned on it on to which the minuet hand flange is fitted

To save a lot of faffing about resetting the top slide for each part I bore the hole in the flange then to turn the shaft place the turning tool upside down and running the lathe in the same direction but with the tool behind the centre line .

This gives perfectly matching tapers  .

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version