Author Topic: Keeping busy when confined to the home by Covid virus.  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Deko

Keeping busy when confined to the home by Covid virus.
« on: March 23, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »
Some of the UK members might have seen an ad on TV for a model spitfire the parts of which come with a magazine. It is animated with small plastic rods. To anyone with more money than sense it will cost £1200.00 and take 2 years to complete. As soon as the wife saw the ad, she said I am sure you could do better than that. Due to poor health my workshop time is very limited and I thought that this is a project that I can do part in the workshop, and part in the house. With this in mind I bought a plastic model spitfire to build in the house and I can build an animation device in the workshop. I am sure that lots of the members will soon be confined to the home, so finding something to keep us occupied will be a must.

Cheers, Dek.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Keeping busy when confined to the home by Covid virus.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 01:20:39 PM »
Hiya Dek,

We don't have that ad here... Do you have a picture of it?

Keeping busy is a must!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 01:57:15 PM »
Hi Eric
Possibly this:
https://www.spitfiremodel.com/
Have to agree with Deko.  No idea why anyone would take it up.
Although IMHO the human race has never been troubled by a shortage of half-wits so I presume it makes commercial sense.
Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 02:41:29 PM »
But But... It has a rotating propeller and sound effects!

:doh:

I guess for the people not equipped with a shop (or brains!) it would be OK.
Science is fun.

Offline Joules

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »
You can sink an awful lot of money into the model of Titanic from Trumpeter.

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/trumpeter-1200-rms-titanic-model-kit/

At least you get it all at once and not have “Arfur Spitfire” when the parts run is shut due to production cancelled by virus.

Actually the thing is enormous and would make a great ice bucket for a big get together....
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 04:46:24 PM »
Anyhow, just getting settled into a nice 3 month break, when the wife decides....  Top of back garden to become WWII allotment garden.   For now I still have some work, being one of those self employed shysters, no benefits on the table yet.   LOL, been self isolated for must be 10yrs+ now, dunno what all the fuss is.

Offline philf

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 06:29:41 PM »
A good number of years ago I started a 3 1/2" Lion loco (Titfield Thunderbolt). Progress has been painfully slow but in the last few weeks, reluctant to go out, I've spent many hours in the workshop and have probably machined more parts in the last 2 weeks than the previous 2 years.

This a few days output from last week for the tender:

At this rate it might only take me another 10 years to finish it!

Phil Fern

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 06:43:19 PM »
... when the wife decides....  Top of back garden to become WWII allotment garden.   For now I still have some work, being one of those self employed shysters, no benefits on the table yet.   LOL, been self isolated for must be 10yrs+ now, dunno what all the fuss is.

Well at least we don't have to dig an air raid shelter in the back garden!!

Stay safe all of yees.
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Joules

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 02:21:20 AM »
Cheers Will, and may you concoct a brew that will save us all.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 05:06:41 AM »
Well i'm digging out a base for my Oxy-Acetylene cage that I'm locating outside the workshop for safety and to gain some space.

Whether the Wickes order for ballast and cement and the FH Brundle order for galvanised mesh and 1.2 mm MS sheet will materialise is another matter!

. . . interesting times we are living in  :bugeye:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 09:58:29 AM »
I'm teleworking during the week, but trying to up the work rate on the 7x12 mini-lathe, and assist other with entertainment with the associated videos.

Video editing is a bottomless pit for excessive free time.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline Deko

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 06:48:42 PM »
Well it looks like some of you are keeping busy. Hi Bluechip, did you know that Bogs has had half a lung removed and has sold the contents of his workshop ??. Philf, I recon the way things are going, you will have that loco finished before we get back to some kind of normality. Brass Machine, Bluechip has the right link. Just as a point of interest, do you still keep in touch with Divided he ed ???

Cheers Dek.

Offline philf

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
Well it looks like some of you are keeping busy. Hi Bluechip, did you know that Bogs has had half a lung removed and has sold the contents of his workshop ??. Philf, I recon the way things are going, you will have that loco finished before we get back to some kind of normality. Brass Machine, Bluechip has the right link. Just as a point of interest, do you still keep in touch with Divided he ed ???

Cheers Dek.

Hi Dek,

How are you keeping? It's a few years since I came to see your magnificent fibre optic clock.

I doubt my loco will be finished anytime soon. If it had been a Tich or something similar it would have been a lot easier. There are a heck of a lot of parts to make. The frames are 1/2" x 1/4" 360+mm long. I finished one yesterday (nearly 100 holes to drill and plenty to tap (down to 10BA). I started on the 2nd only to get my mental arithmetic wrong and machined it 1mm short! I was going to drive over to Macclesfield to pick up another piece but with last night's announcements I guess Macc Models would be closed to counter customers. So this morning I looked at the drawings to see where I could splice a piece in. It won't be visible when it's all assembled. All the holes are drilled now - just the tapping to do tomorrow.

Each frame has about 25 parts:

The parts are assembled with rivets and JB Weld. My mate (who is also making one and has done all the CAD modelling) has made a jig to line everything up whilst whilst the adhesive sets. So whilst we're social distancing this will have to wait.

My aim at the moment is to average 1 part per day. Some I can rattle off, others like the cylinders will take a few days out of solid bronze.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline paulc1

• I should live underground
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 01:40:05 PM »
Thankfully for me This D10 castings kit arrived just in time for lockdown and should help to keep me busy for a little while.
stay safe everyone!

[Stuart D10 castings kit by , on Flickr][/img]

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 10:59:45 PM »
Brass Machine, Bluechip has the right link. Just as a point of interest, do you still keep in touch with Divided he ed ???

Cheers Dek.

Hi Dek,

I do. I know he isn't that active here much anymore, but I do talk to him quite a bit.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline paulc1

• I should live underground
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 05:50:06 PM »
Thankfully for me This D10 castings kit arrived just in time for lockdown and should help to keep me busy for a little while.
stay safe everyone!

[Stuart D10 castings kit by , on Flickr][/img]
It has saved me going stir crazy during lock down but almost there, pipework and a few bits need tidying but I have a lovely block of mahogany to make a nice base.
First run on air
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:04:33 PM by paulc1 »

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 12:31:02 PM »
Anyhow, just getting settled into a nice 3 month break, when the wife decides....  Top of back garden to become WWII allotment garden.   For now I still have some work, being one of those self employed shysters, no benefits on the table yet.   LOL, been self isolated for must be 10yrs+ now, dunno what all the fuss is.

I was 9 when war broke out so we had THREE WW2 gardens.

As for Spits,  We made 1/72nd scale models for National Savings campaigns bith at home and at school.

The plans came from Aeromodeller and Aircraft of the Fighting Powers.

We found that kits like Keelbuild in Newcastle too expensive.

Keep well

Keep Safe

Norman- at almost 90