The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Resurrection of a CFEI 100 KVA Induction Furnace

<< < (168/171) > >>

awemawson:
Water level subsiding so I took off the back of the box. In the words of Wes (*)

"There's Your Problem Lady!"

One of the 13 mm pipes has come clean off its copper tail - now as you can see in the picture these are retained by plastic hose clamps - years back I found that steel ones got too much magnetic coupling and got too hot!

Need to test that the coil is free flowing and that it wasn't a blockage that caused it to come off.

(* This is a quote from 'Watch Wes Work' on YouTube - he repairs vehicles in a rural part of America and previously was a CNC machine repairer so has a very logical and resourceful approach to fault finding - well worth watching)

edward:
Sorry to hear about Hugo, Andrew. Its a massive kick when a good friend like that passes. My two are the only company I have while working at home all day so I can understand how you feel. Sad times :(

I too am addicted to Wes. He reminds me of you in a way, cool, logical, not phased by repairing things. The only thing that horrifies me is the state of some of the 'vehicles' he works on - a product of salty roads and no state inspection I guess, but that these things share the roads with other people is really quite scary.

Pete W.:
Andrew,

My lovely but shy assistant (LBSA) and I offer our condolances on the passing of Hugo.  I fear I can't remember if he was a 'V' or a 'W' but in either case I can't spell it!

There are five German Shepherd Dogs and at least one 'Heinz57' interred in our back garden.  (And three cats.)  One GSD and the Heinz57 passed before LBSA and I were married but we both mourned the passing in turn of the most recent four GSDs.  Making that final decision is always hard, however well one can rationalise it, it's a life so always an awesome responsibility and always painful.

LBSA has talked herself into walking our neighbours' two dogs twice a day, usually three days a week, sometimes five, because the dogs would otherwise be left alone all day with no stimulation and no exercise.  She very much takes the dogs' side!!

Sea.dog:
So sorry to hear about Hugo, Andrew. I remember sitting on the sofa with him...

Re the pipe problem. I'd not be happy with a straight pipe stub and pipe that softens with heat. Surely a barbed end would be preferable?

ddmckee54:

--- Quote from: Sea.dog on February 21, 2023, 09:54:09 AM ---Re the pipe problem. I'd not be happy with a straight pipe stub and pipe that softens with heat. Surely a barbed end would be preferable?

--- End quote ---

Or maybe just soldering a ring of copper wire around the existing copper stub?  Something that would give the plastic hose clamps a little more traction against slippage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version