Author Topic: Win7 professional 32 bit clean install  (Read 13483 times)

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Win7 professional 32 bit clean install
« on: February 22, 2020, 08:32:52 AM »
Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, but I have quite a bit of legacy software that needs Win7 / 32 bit.

Now call me suspicious but since they announced ending support two of my Win7 systems this year so far have started reporting that the operating system copy is a fake (they are genuine) - one has responded to fixes available on the web, the other one doesn't. there are apparently 'updates' that Microsoft push on you that do this, and even though I've unloaded the alleged offenders, and also rolled back the 'difficult system' to a restore point way back last year the problem persists.

SO: I want to build a new (to me) PC running Win7 professional 32 bit updated to the latest 'safe point' in this regard then disable any further updates.

I have two genuine original installation disks but cannot use them a/ because they are already registered and b/ they are oldish and need the later updates (but not the latest updates!!!)

So where do I find some usable disks ?

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

Re: Win7 professional 32 bit clean install
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 09:33:46 AM »
Unless they are OEM the discs should be usable many times over as only the cd key counts.

What make is your machine, I might have a Dell and a HP disc somewhere.

My windows 7 laptop hasn't flagged any issues and I use it daily BTW.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
Yes they are Microsoft CDs but as rather long in the tooth don't have the later 'service packs' which wouldn't be a problem if Microsoft still supported it as they are were downloadable .

The target PC is an HP DC7600 SFF

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 01:48:59 PM »
I'll have a look see what disc I have. TBH I thought that support ending just meant no new updates, I didn't think that it meant you couldn't still download old service packs.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 02:05:26 PM »
I'm going to do a full backup early next week, then load the original CD and see what happens - I seem to remember that it detects the existing operating system and gives you an option to check or refresh the system files, but as the system is newer than the original CD it may well throw a wobbly !

(it does scheduled back ups every week, next due tonight, but I'll do a specific one manually just to be sure)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Arnak

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »
Hi,

If the windows installation is genuine as you say it is, then contact Microsoft support and get them to check the licence key, they may be able to issue you with a new one. :bugeye:

Alternatively, there is a seller on Amazon where you can purchase a licence key for £25.

That will save your installation and avoid having to download and install all the updates. :(

Martin

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »
Microsoft will just say 'no longer supported.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »
As your installations are licensed and legal - I'd suggest something I'd never normally recommend: Use a "dodgy" activator. Dazloader is probably the best. I've used it a few times when faffing about with virtual machines that need to be activated, the hardest part is getting Windows to not recognise it as a virus...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Arnak

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 07:52:40 PM »
Hi,

I am not so sure that Microsoft will say no, longer supported when it comes to licence issues as you can still buy new W7 installations.

From the Microsoft website, "Windows 7 can still be installed and activated after end of support."

So believe that licence issues can still be resolved, give them a ring as it can't hurt and may solve your problem.

If not a google search on Windows 7 not genuine will find some workarounds that may be worth trying.

Martin

Offline mattinker

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 04:26:40 AM »
Andrew,

I am not very window savy, but, I have a Widows seven that is a legal copy, that is installed on my dual boot Windows Linux machine. This is a recent installation, last month, I was able to upgrade to the most recent service pack, automatically, despite having received the Microsoft no longer supported message! I didn't need need to enter the registration code! I hope this is helpful, I know you know Windows 7 far better than Ido!

Cheers Matthew.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 05:57:20 AM »
Having just performed a back up I tried booting from my genuine Microsoft Win7 pro distribution disk, and the bally CD player won't read it  :bang:

I could read it fine on my Win10 machine  :med:

So I dug out my USB / CD drive and ran set up from that. It went into the 'checking compatibility' mode trotting off checking installed software compatibility, rejected one or two, then downright refused to do anything else as the installed version was more recent than the CD - argh !

You know, I might just put up with the rude message and lack of screen background. I suppose I could trash the system files then do it again but this is getting a right pain!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
Did you try running as a repair..F8 whilst it boots from disc then run repair..worked on for me.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »
I found the other day when i was doing a Win7 machine to play with...all went as it should until i got to the register this copy of Windoz ( tis real BTW ) nogo it told me my copy of windows was a fake...or go to the phone and register...Phone number no-longer works :doh: Ow! but look a pop-up asking me to go online with a number ( provided to me ) and buy Win10 download..... :hammer: :bang:

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »
I've disabled updates on my Win 7 machines, and just cancel the irritating (and lying!) pop up that says that it's not genuine every time it appears!

You end up with a black background to your desk top but I'm not loading Win10 on these machines as they run legacy software that doesn't work with Win10.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex