Author Topic: Simple tapping guide for small taps  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Joules

Simple tapping guide for small taps
« on: February 14, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »
A friend has recently decided to get a mini lathe, so I am dreaming up some simple projects for him to make.   This project may also be of benefit to new members starting out here at MadModder.

The body is simply a piece of 16mm nylon bar around 50mm long, but any nylon/Acetal around that size will do.  This is turned so you have a boss, in my case 15mm dia x 16mm long, I opted for 12mm dia x 34mm long for the rest, that way it fits all my 13mm chucks.  Adjust the dimensions for smaller chucks, I drilled through the nylon 1/8" or 3.2mm.  The shaft is a piece of 1/8" stainless welding rod, an old screwdriver shaft could be used just as well.   The shaft is 60mm long as 11mm is inside the chuck.  An old Expo drill was lurking in my junk box destined for the bin, the little chuck got pulled and is good for taps upto M3 size.   A little key chuck from the likes of Banggood might be a better choice as it will have more grip, but a chuck that slips can save a tap from breaking when you are starting out and learning the feel of tapping.   

The tapping guide can be seen in use on the lathe or drill/mill as the nylon and stainless shaft have a little flex, you have some allowance for slight misalignment.    A simple project for an afternoons work that could well last a lifetime of use in the workshop, and save you some money, learning and using small taps.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Simple tapping guide for small taps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 12:06:13 AM »
Hi Joules,
   I did similar with the chuck and shaft from a dead battery drill. Didn't do the nylon sleeve though but it sure makes life easier when tapping.
   I usually just pop the tap into the chuck to get it started then as soon as the tap slips a bit I know it can be finished by hand in the vise as it's square to the hole. (That's the bit to get right I reckon).

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)