Author Topic: Mitre Saws seem to be a theme  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Joules

Mitre Saws seem to be a theme
« on: February 10, 2020, 01:23:42 PM »
I picked up an Evolution mitre saw and found they use their own blade bore of 25.4mm diameter.  All the descent blades seem to use 30mm, as the blade carrier is removable from the saw I thought I would make another as I don't like the adapter rings blades come with.    My first chunk of metal turned out to be case hardened, and not just a little, it also had a keyway in it that I didn't account for properly so was going to be undersized.  This looked like another project about to get shoved on the creaking back burner.   However this dinner time a friend showed up with a handful of scrap metal pins and the heads just happened to be about the right size I needed.

Most of the head was sawn off and then put in the lathe ready for machining.  I had a bit to remove off the diameter (6mm) off the pin, and I wanted to do this all without removing the pin from the chuck.  Machining was done, and I bored to size the adapter before parting it off.   Now in all this excitement I clean forgot, is this a 30mm adapter, do you feel lucky punk !!!   

At that point I knew I wasn't Clint, and had managed to get 29.9mm as my finished diameter.   :doh:

So I flicked my spurs and visited Bodge City....   A nice ring of punch marks got the blade snug and centred, this blade just happens to have 30mm bore but isn't the correct size for the saw.

My adapter at the side of the one supplied with the saw, other than the slight error it fits the saw just as well as the commercial one.  This final image also shows one of the pins I machined it from.

I just got complacent from machining soft materials and got bitten by backlash.  Still a bit of different machining and a component made, you can't buy.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline chipenter

Re: Mitre Saws seem to be a theme
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 01:38:43 PM »
Are well Aldi don't do imperial saws .
Jeff

Offline philf

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »
Joules,

Maybe the 25.4 hole is so you don't try to fit an Evolution blade to another make of saw. The Evolution blade which cuts steel, aluminium etc runs about half the speed of my woodcutting mitre saw.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 01:55:09 PM »
That's a very valid point Phil, at least other saw manufactures say their blades will work on the Evolution, so the slower blade speed doesn't affect wood cutting.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 02:20:35 PM »
A friend, who is a ground works contractor, came round in a bit of a panic the other week with a similar problem - the job he was on had 'ground' to a halt (sorry).

His original petrol 12" (sorry 305 mm!) cut off saw had blown up and he'd bought a new one but it had a 20 mm spindle, but he had a whole stack of 12" diamond blades with 1" / 25.4 mm holes and none with 20 mm.

A simple turning job had him smiling again as a 'while you wait' job and I sent him off with three suitable adaptors as he's bound to loose them, and that was the length of tube I turned into collars !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 12:05:54 AM »
Ahh, just figured out why my 30mm diameter was under, these pins are stainless and I shouldn’t have tried to creep up on my final cut, it should have been a good depth of cut to finish.  I did test the pins with a magnet and thought when they arrived, these are shiny and not covered in oil.  At least my adapter isn’t going to rust in a hurry.