The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Anybody Know What This Could Have Been Used For?

(1/3) > >>

klank:
Whilst on the scrounge from my local scrapyard, I came across this "rotary item" languishing in the bottom of a skip of odds and sods.
The foreman bloke in the yard let me have it for free, provided I could sneak it out past the Boss on the weighbridge!! - (the foreman guy is a scale RC model boat builder who is a very nice bloke and a useful source of good stuff).

It appears to be some sort of rotory magnet.

The main shaft is not magnetic (?stainless or some other very hard alloy - the shaft does not take a file cut) - standing 240mm tall, 35mm. dia in the main, topped with an M16 threaded bit and substantial keyway.
The "rotor" is held by three "vanes" set at a skewed angle.
The "rotor" contains approx. 50 small, very powerful vertical magnets internally mounted around its perimeter.

The top and bottom of the rotor (discs) may well be screwed on - you can just make out the joints.
It is beautifully manufactured and weighs a hell of a lot.

It seems a shame to cut it up, so I am presently using it as a kitchen towel holder, and swarf attractor next to my mill.
(I know there are 50 magnets because the swarf is attracted into 50 discreet small rectangular clumps around the periphery of the rotor.)

One idea suggested to me is that it might have been a magnetic mixing rotor turning in a bath of fluid (hence the vanes skewed).
Interestingly, there are no markings on it apart from a felt tip pen cryptic message written on the shaft "Too Small!"
Presumably thus it was binned, ending up in a skip in my local yard.
The foreman guy had no idea where the skip had come from - somewhere in the East Devon area.

Anyone got any other ideas either as to its original use or what it could be adapted for?

rleete:
It's a magnetic coupling.  Used in large pumps and valves, where you can't have a shaft protruding through the case.  Could have also been used in mixing equipment, where the impeller is inside (in the stuff to be mixed), and is driven by this doo-hickey outside the tank.

I only know this because I worked in a place that made them a few year back.

klank:
Wow, small world!!

Thankyou for the information - I appreciate the reply.

CrewCab:

--- Quote from: klank on June 08, 2009, 01:05:50 PM ---Wow, small world!!

Thankyou for the information - I appreciate the reply.

--- End quote ---

Just goes to prove .........   :mmr:

To be fair though klank, it makes a pretty classy kitchen towel holder

CC

klank:
What I REALLY want is a Jelly-Snake dispenser for those stressful moments - chewing helps you relax, and a pick-n-mix jelly-snake does the biz. :coffee:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version