Gallery, Projects and General > Neat Stuff

How-to: X2 Mini Mill Torque and Speed increase

(1/6) > >>

NorthOf40:
Hey all,

I came across a page showing how to get a...

--- Quote ---+70% increase in RPM (adjustable)
+100% increase in Torque (adjustable)
Huge increase in reliability (non adjustable)
--- End quote ---

...by creating a new Motor Controller.

Check it out here: http://www.harrisson.biz/controller/power.htm

You will need a belt drive conversion to do this as the author states that the mod will break the gears.

I haven't done it to my X2, check it out, see what you think.

Bernd:
Jim,

Took a look at the site. Intereesting to say the least. I can never fathom why you'd want to run at such a high rate of spindle speed. Usally the asnswer to that one is drilling small holes. I'll have to disagree with that since I've drilled .080" holes at slower rates without breaking them. Also I think a small mill such as the X2 isn't rigid enough to with stand that kind one speed. Plus, how long will the spindle bearings hold up.

Personally I'd never mod it for higher speeds. Just my 2 cents.

Bernd

NorthOf40:
Bernd,

All very good points :thumbup:

I would be unlikely to run the little mill at those speeds, but at lower "normal" speeds (I'm also intrigued by the mention of "more torque").

The board could serve as a cheap replacement if one ever burnt out their stock control board.

j.bain87:
Has anybody saved this information on their computer, I have tried to access the site and it just does not want to open ?

Bernd:
Hi j.bain87,

First a warm welcome to the collective.  :borg:

Apperently I was able to look at it once since I replied to the post, but can't open it today. Could be ISP troubles. Might try later and see if there's a change. And no I didn't keep the info stored on my computer.

Regards,
Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version