Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

RC Model Steam Project

(1/7) > >>

Bernd:
After much contemplating and a bit of inter-web research I've come up with an idea for a project. As I had mentioned in The Water Cooler section of the forum I had a project brewing in the back of my mind that would consist of two steam engines, two boilers and an airplane prop. I believe I've come up with a concept that might be workable.

What would take two steam engines, two boilers and a prop to make a project you say? Well I guess it's actually a bunch of small projects put together to form one complete project. What I have in mind is building a steam powered radio controlled vehicle that will tow a trailer with the second vehicle aboard the trailer. What I have in mind is a steam powered trike, ala steam punk, towing a trailer with a radio controlled, ala steam punk, steam powered air boat.

For the steam powered trike I got the inspiration from Crabfu-Steam.com. http://www.crabfu.com/steamtoys/diy_steampunk/
The first image is of a steam-punk motorbike. I thought it would be neat to build a trike. Much easier to keep up right.
The second steam powered vehicle will be an airboat or swamp boat. Here's a pic of a real one in case you don't know what I'm talking about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Air_boat.jpg

Of course I'd need a trailer to haul this on behind the steam trike. That one will be the simplest of this project.

Ok, now I've got a concept or an idea of a concept. We already know how the boat is supposed to look like. The trailer is easy to imagine, but the trike was a bit hard. The Crabfu Steamworks image wasn't going to work to well, but did give me a few ideas.

I needed a platform to build on, enter William Harris' Steam Roller.

I'm looking at just the frame , nothing else. A pair of wheels in the back and one single one in the front. So now I've got something to work with. I'm going to build the engine he uses on the steam roller but will lay it down between the frame. This will power the vehicle. A pair of fake pistons will be visible to make it look like they are driving the trike.

So that's it for now from the design committee. If any more ideas or concepts surface I'll be sure to post them here.

Regards,
Bernd

sbwhart:
Well thats a real humdinger of  a project I think you've got a good dose of  :proj:

Like the idea of using the frame from that steam roller, it looks like it was based on a shay, is it a model or a full size roller can't tell from the pic  :scratch:

Have fun

Stew

PTsideshow:

--- Quote from: Bernd on June 07, 2009, 07:53:55 PM ---
 towing a trailer with a radio controlled, ala steam punk, steam powered air boat.

The second steam powered vehicle will be an airboat or swamp boat. Here's a pic of a real one in case you don't know what I'm talking about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Air_boat.jpg

I needed a platform to build on, enter William Harris' Steam Roller.
Regards,
Bernd

--- End quote ---

Here is the site you want for your trailer item http://www.rcairboats.net/phpBB/index.php more than you might want to know  :D It sometimes takes awhile to load. The vid's and photo's are something else.

I found it looking for info on building a 2 stoke weed wacker engine powered air boat!

The village press has a book out on the articles that where in Live Steam & outdoor RR magazine. From a couple of years ago. I believe that is a picture of the model.
glen

Bernd:
Stew,

That's a 1 1/2" scale model.

I wish I could sketch better as I have created the whole thing in my mind but can't get it down on paper.

Was looking over the engine again that I was going to use on the roller and have decided not to use that form of engine. Going to seriously look at the engines used on steam donkeys (used to haul logs). Would have to run it through some gearing and a final drive with a chain to the drive wheel to slow the engine down enough and give enough power to move the vehicle.

Time to turn to the frame and see what i can come up with there.

Bernd

sbwhart:
Thanks Bernd

That a real nice model, very unusal configuration for a roller especialy to UK eyes.

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version