Author Topic: In Praise of an Excellent Supplier  (Read 3255 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
In Praise of an Excellent Supplier
« on: December 15, 2019, 01:32:11 PM »
Back in the year 2000 I was looking for a three axis DRO to fit to my Bridgeport. Budget was tough (isn't it always!) and I ended up buying a kit from B W Electronics. Bob Worsley had developed a DRO system based on a spring loaded thin cable that, winding round a drum, turned a quadrature encoder. It worked extremely well, but shortly aftwards the market was swamped by the Chinese offerings.

19 years later, I'd had excellent use out of it, but one axis developed a problem - it's readings were all out of order. Swapping the sensor to another port on the display the fault was proved to the sensor unit.

More in hope than expectation I rang Bob, and tongue in cheek told him I was registering a warranty claim  :clap: Describing the symptoms he reckoned that I'd suffered from a mains glitch and the sensor just needed it's original parameters  reinstalling, a process described in the  (long lost) manual.

Bob emailed me a .PDF copy of the manual, and he was dead right, a quick reload (page 24 of the manual) DRO sorted  :thumbup: :thumbup:

So hows that for service after 19 years - manual attached if anyone else has an issue

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

Re: In Praise of an Excellent Supplier
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
Had a BW Electronics DRO on the Myford for over 20yrs.  I also have the original manual to hand in the workshop.   Always been very reliable as long as you occasionally clean the wire as a build up of crude can give false readings.

It was the cheapest option for DRO at the time as I transitioned from one trade to another.   Proved to be money well spent.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.