Author Topic: First 3d printer - Ender 3 pro  (Read 14548 times)

Offline chipenter

Re: First 3d printer - Ender 3 pro
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 01:50:17 PM »
Where do you mount the cutter ? I made the Ureka had to run it backwards otherwise it ran away with itself .
Jeff

Offline Pete.

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 02:00:07 PM »
No cutter Jeff this is just a model. The pointy bit on the post below the peg is supposed to signify the cutting tool, but it came out somewhat short of where it should have been. One of the things I have to tweak.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 10:47:18 AM »
I've finished all the parts now, done a few tweaks and just got a couple of test prints.

Where is the best place to publish this so others can download and print it?

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »
Hi Pete,

You might be able to attach it here. I have to check what the settings are...

Otherwise, there are 2 places that I can think of:

Thingiverse or My Miniature Factory

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 02:30:49 PM »
I'll have a look at Thingiverse Eric. Don't want to hammer your bandwidth by attaching 20mb of files.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2019, 03:12:54 PM »
I'll have a look at Thingiverse Eric. Don't want to hammer your bandwidth by attaching 20mb of files.

No worries. I think at both places you can set it up so people can 'tip' you when they download.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2019, 04:21:21 PM »
Hey all,

My Balzer working model is live on Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4043256

Offline chipenter

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2019, 02:36:38 AM »
Thanks Pete I will try and make this in steal , I use the ureka in my mill and it is very slow , this design looks smother and more controllable .
Jeff

Offline Pete.

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2019, 05:10:59 AM »
Form relieving is very slow regardless. I had thought a couple of times to build a proper working version but I didn't want to invest the time into making the split-DP gear several times to find a working combination. the printer makes that much easier.
Also this tool will ONLY produce 15-tooth cutters, unless you find some combination of gears that will offer a different advancement to the 60/4 teeth. I'll have a think about that.

Perhaps printed gears with 100% fill would be strong enough for a working machine? I shall investigate that...

Offline mattinker

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2019, 05:17:26 AM »
Pete,
an interesting ambitious "first" print! I don't understand how it works, but I'm impressed!

Cheers, Matthew

Offline Pete.

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2019, 06:01:37 AM »
Thanks Matthew.

The secret is in this gear, it has two different tooth pitches on each half. The top half has 30 teeth and the bottom 26. Because the small gear rolls around meshing with both big gears all the time it 'drags' the normal 60-tooth gear forwards 4 teeth each time it does the bottom-half rotation on this special gear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/neygd17rwu4wgrk/Balzer%20reliever%201.mp4?dl=0

Offline mattinker

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2019, 06:48:15 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Pete.

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2019, 12:44:06 PM »
3d printer earning it's keep again. This time I wanted to remove a stop button from it's housing and fit it to a steel plate more in keeping with the machine. Junking the housing meant that I had nothing to fix the switch to, so I knocked upa  quick design and printed one.

I even incorporated 3 tabs so the switch mount could be used as a spanner for the plastic nut.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
Dead handy aren't they Pete !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2019, 07:06:48 PM »
You're not kidding Andrew. I'm printing a cable clamp right now. Handy as a handy thing with 2 pairs of hands.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2019, 11:33:43 PM »
Mine has been running almost non stop since I replaced the mainboard... Christmas is coming and I am making a few gifts.

Pete... What are you using for a slicer? I have been using Cura, however, I am a little unhappy with it. Been reading that people go from good prints to amazing by changing over to Simplify3D. Costs money, but I have been thinking of making the switch.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2019, 03:57:34 AM »
I'm using the bundled slicer because most of the modern software won't run on my old 32-bit PC. It's cura-based far as I know.

I'll have to upgrade this PC and get some more powerful software.

Offline Joules

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2019, 04:14:23 AM »
Guys, give PrusaSlicer a go before parting with money.  I have been a long time user of S3D, but recently moved over to PrusaSlicer full time.  It has the added advantage of being free.   Not happy with the direction and slow development of S3D, they are trying to move to a subscription and cloud based model.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2019, 02:52:06 PM »
Unlike Joules, I went the other way.  I starting out using the Prusa slicer for a year or two and liked it a lot more than Cura.  But, two things that I didn't like about it were what it did with thin wall perimeters, and the way it handled supports.

I don't know if they've changed it or not, but when I was using Slic3r, if it could not completely fill the perimeter of a thin wall, it left a void in the perimeter.  Using a 0.4mm nozzle, if I tried printing a 1mm wall I wound up with the outside perimeters that were a single filament wide, and a void between them.  Simplify3D will go back and fill the void.  Maybe there was a parameter that I could have changed to fix this, but at the time I didn't know the secret of how to fix this.

The way it handled supports was my biggest gripe about the Prusa slicer, or regular Slicer for that matter.  When supports are used it lays down a complete solid platform under the area needing support.  This is great for the area needing support, but it makes it much harder to remove the supports after printing.  If I remember correctly it applied the same number of top layers to supports as it did to the rest of the model.  Again, maybe there was a way to change this, but I didn't find it.  It might have been so easy to do that I just overlooked it.

One of the things that I really like about Simplify3D is how easy it is to properly orient a model to the build plate.  If you haven't used it before, you simply hit CNTRL-L and then click on the surface you want on the build plate.  I found out about that one from Clough42 in one of his videos on YouTube.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2019, 03:40:33 PM »
I ordered Ender 3 pro too.

Do I start my own thread or butt in?

I have dabble with Fusion360, not much and I am not sure f that licence still works - I have heard that thye have changed hobby licence.

Anyway I ordered the printer, few reels of PLA and PETG. Also a reel of soft filamet (that normally would not work on bowden feed machine, but it's harder Shore A95 and they have thested it with this printer - might work).

What do I print firts to check dimenssional stability?

My first real project will be  Clough42 Lathe Electronic Leadscrew Control Panel

There is an operating dongle and in final version buttons are printed with Ninja Flex, but enclosure is milled. I don't have cnc engraver fot the text, trying to cook up something.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3740612

Straightes way from point A to point B?

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2019, 03:50:36 PM »
I ordered Ender 3 pro too.

Do I start my own thread or butt in?

Good question. It is up to Pete as this is his thread.

I am up for starting a general 3D printing thread to carry on.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »
Pile in the more the merrier!

For a test part I drew a 20 x 20 x 20 cube with a 12mm hole through it one way. I've found that all the holes I print come out about 0.25mm small. The cube came out 0.1mm large.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2019, 02:08:45 AM »
Pile in the more the merrier!

For a test part I drew a 20 x 20 x 20 cube with a 12mm hole through it one way. I've found that all the holes I print come out about 0.25mm small. The cube came out 0.1mm large.

Thank you.

I am concerned on hole spacing on X/Y plane. Those tolerances you mentioned sounds pretty good.

Noob question: On features that has to fit (or snap) together, how do you adjust dimensions to reach the required fit? And where do you adjust it? Nominal hole/rod size on Fusion and corections on slicer or is there an additional step?

Pekka

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »
I don't know about everybody else, but I know that I completely forgot to allow for shrinkage.  Everything expands when it get hot, and contracts as it cools.  We're printing at 200°C or more so you're talking about at a 170°C temperature differential from the ambient temperature.  With PLA I think the shrinkage is about 4-5%.  Clough42 mentioned this in one of his videos where the hole spacings were off in both X and Y.  Most slicers have a scaling parameter that you can use to scale all the axis to correct for shrinkage.  You tell the slicing software to scale your part to 104-105% and you've just compensated for shrinkage.

On my first printer I had an issue with the Y axis, it was 4-5% short of what it should have been.  I needed to modify the steps/mm, but I didn't have the source code for the version of Marlin that came on that machine - still don't.  By doing a LOT of on-line research I found that my machine would accept the M-code commands to modify the steps/mm settings via the G-code file.  There are freeware packages out there that will allow you to send M-code commands to your printer and it will tell you what the current settings are.  If you are printing from your PC, and not from an SD card then you are already using one of these.  I added a couple of lines in my slicer that modify the steps/mm settings in the G-code sent to the printer.  That way I'm always telling the printer what it's correct steps/mm are.  This is all assuming that your machine is using a Ramps board and an Arduino to run your printer.  If you've got something else, then you're on your own Bubba.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
Small round holes pull in, with less effect as the hole gets bigger.  Hexes have very little pull in. 
Nophead did the basic research on this one... very interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk