Author Topic: My week this week, my workshop videos!  (Read 50107 times)

Offline hermetic

Re: My week this week, my workshop videos!
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2023, 07:20:12 AM »
Hi John, not too  bad really! Can you send me a pic of what you have please!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2023, 06:33:01 PM »
Hi Phil
OK will do, Just hope I remember tomorrow :doh:

John

Offline hermetic

« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2023, 07:26:10 AM »
No rush John, I will give you a gentle  reminder if  you do!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2023, 07:14:15 PM »
Hi Phil
message sent,
For some reason Attaching the photos does not work for me??

John

Offline hermetic

« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2023, 11:03:13 AM »
Hi All,
 A good week of  field work including pulling stumps and removing the much hated snowberry! Weather has been good till Friday when the heavens opened Thursday night, and it just kept rainind. After a hot and humid afternoon the heavens opened for a 20 minute downpour early evening. Keith was getting ready for Angelas trip to Germany to  judge at a dog show, so we scrapped all thoughts of getting any usefull work done on Friday, and I went off to the Electrical wholesalers with my bro to get the gear to wire the shed, or as mike calls it, The British legion Hall  Keith and Angela  will return Monday afternoon, so we will be back at it Tuesday, but the weather doesnt look good!
Phil, in rainy steamy East Yorkshire!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2023, 11:21:55 AM »
Hi All,
I was off sick with my non covid ailment again, could be the OSR pollen which fills the air at the moment, or could be just hay fever, there is a high pollen count at the moment, and it always makes me  flu-ish for a couple of days! I get the wiring of the mains to disboards finished in the "shed" at Cambrai Covers, and then Friday I get to spend some time in the workshop, and make a start on the latest machine lamp!
Phil, in wet and windy (again) East Yorkshire.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2023, 11:05:11 AM »
Hi all!
Another week of mainly field  work with a quick few repairs in the workshop, the Toro tractor is running well now and although the exhaust comes off at one point, it is an easy repair, and also a permanent one!the only problem now is the self closing throttle, which is a pain,  and it still tends to set off a bit suddenly as the clutch is released, more adjustment needed, but it is doing really good work at the moment! We get a bit of a surprise when we look into one  of our unused tin sheds!! We have given the bramble area another closer cut and also the grass, and all is looking really good, we haven't finished yet,, but the end is in sight!
Phil, in cloudy but hot East Yorkshire.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2023, 11:24:00 AM »
Hi all!
Another week  of fun and Jollity in the blazing sun!, we have a burn, and then start to prepare the new dog run it the field, it is all beginning to take shape and become tidy, although the battle with the spring growth is ongoing the whole place looks so much better. We willl finish the new kennel block next week, and then it is back onto the remaining clearing of the brambles near the entrance and up the hill! Another few weeks and I can crawl back into the workshop and lick my wounds! Actually, both physically and mentally I feel so much better than I was a few months ago!
Phil, in very warm and sunny East Yorkshire

Offline hermetic

« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2023, 11:02:25 AM »
Hi all!
A week of persistent breakdowns, caused by lack of maintenance, misuse and general daftness on my part! I had a feeling the Fordson radiator was leaking again, and as I was cutting the grass with it it began to overheat slightly, and then the governor failed!! Unfortunately when a Simms vacuum governor fails, the pump suddenly goes flat out and gives the engine as much fuel as it can! So the engine goes to max revs, a huge cloud of black smoke comes out of the exhaust. I grabbed the stop button and when all had come to a halt, started it again with the same result! nothing to do but leave it in the middle of the field and go and order the parts. We got it fixed and fitted the new radiator, but it started on three cylinders,, and sounded a bit rough, but came onto 4 as soon as I drove it and remained on 4 even at tickover. Time will tell if there is any permanent damage, and if there is, I will fix it!
Phil

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2023, 12:21:09 PM »
Bad luck with the Fordson Major Phil - I hope you sort it quickly.

By chance I was 're-purposing' some Fordson Major 3 point link pins today to make my 'JCB slew pot reinstallation press'

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2023, 07:18:41 AM »
I Noticed Andrew!  they are bloody hard arent they! When I was working on the 3 point on mine I had to really pound the pins to  get them out of the fixed/sliding part of the arms, to my amazement they did not swell one iota, and are now back where they were originally put in 1955! Tractor seems to be fine, I may get another cut sometime next week, and then I will know for sure, but you can bet I will be checking the water before I start it, to make sure it hasn't gone anywhere else, and opening the decompressor to clear the cylinders before I start it! Having said that, a friend of mine in the next village ran a Major for many years with leaky liners, and used to drain the coolant into a container when he had finished with it, and put it back immediately before next use, it only leaked when it was stood!
Phil

Offline hermetic

« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2023, 11:08:11 AM »
Hi all!
We continue with the kennel building, and finally get the measure of it! The first thing you do with any sort of construction, is start from a level site! There are no level sites in Langtoft so we have to build level(ish) on a slope, but using square front galve bar panels with doors in, which means we get the effect of terraced houses that run up a hill, each is higher than the last! Once we complete the first one and get some diagonal strenghteners in, it all falls into place, and continues apace Tuesday we go to Millington woods for my  wifes Birthday treat, and spend a wonderful after noon almost by ourselves in woodland so secluded we almost failed to find it! The only other people there happened to be, coincidentally, one of my Daughters uni mates, and a fun day out was had by all!
Phil, in cloudy but warm East Yorkshire.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2023, 12:25:32 PM »
Hi all! It has been really hot, so if I don't make a lot of sense through the video it is the heat getting to me! 30 deg C on Friday, and we gave up trying to work!We salvaged a load more wood and cleared more mess up to get it! Kennel number 1 is complete less roof, and we are going for a finish in the cooler weather forecast for next week. We are both exhausted!

Phil, in sweltering  East Yorkshire.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #238 on: June 24, 2023, 11:03:40 AM »
Another very hot week of  field work on the kennels, which thank the lord are nearing completion! Now we know the construction method we can get straight on to construction without too much thinking time! Enjoy my cab ride in the engine at the Yorkshire Wolds railway! Unlike most heritage railways, this one has been rebuilt in an empty field where there used to be a railway line from Driffield  to Malton, no taking over an existing line and rolling  stock fror these true enthusiasts, they started with nowt and have created a railway out of it! Look them up  @YWRailway   and come for a look and a ride! Tell them  I sent you!!
Phil, in sweltering Torremalangtoft!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #239 on: July 01, 2023, 11:21:51 AM »
Hi all!
A week of steamy tropical humidity, not easy to work in, and we had to struggle on! Days missed due to rain and hospital  appointments, But still we persevere! This week we have the luxury of a cameraman for a day, so you get to see me and cousin Keith actually working! If we don't get this project finished by next friday we will both go insane, , some would say it is far too late for that, others would throw there hands in the air and wander off muttering under their breath, I seem to do a lot of muttering lately......
Phil, in the East Yorkshire rain forest, slowly steaming!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #240 on: July 08, 2023, 11:17:34 AM »
Hi all!
Another week of steamy tropical humidity, not easy to work in, but we had to struggle on! Days missed due to plasterboarding the ceiling at home on Monday, and forgetting my camera Tuesday! We finally move the tenants into kennel #1, and thus free up the last pair of metal bars to complete #3. Friday we finally crack and go to town to buy more fence rails which are our main constructional timber, based on the realisation that we can save much time and sweating by not having to make do and mend with our dwindling supply of 12' lengths! We get a bargain by buying up some "wonky" ones as well at half price, as the chicken run fence steps down a slope so will have to be done with six foot lengths! We may yet need more roof sheets, but we will know that next week!
Phil in steamy but glorious East Yorkshire.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2023, 11:30:43 AM »
Hi All,
 Crazy crazy weather, June was flaming, as its legend goes, and now July is overcast, chilly and wet! We dance between the rain and get in a good week! The roof is finished, the wire is finished, but the rain comes down friday afternoon  and we don't  get the plastic sheets on.  No matter, now we are so close to complete we can taste freedom again! Next week, plastic sheets on, gutter on, and finally felt the roof, but we have to get the felt, nails and compound first!
phil, in Damp miserable East Yorkshire

Offline hermetic

« Reply #242 on: July 29, 2023, 02:51:42 PM »
Hi All,
The Kennels are finished all bar the roof felt, and are fully occupied, so we move on to the Chicken run, then it rained,  and rained! July is monsoon season in East Yorkshire! We get most of the chicken run fence completed, and I do some workshop repairs which involve.......water pumps! I manage to get quite wet in the workshop!. Never mind, we are all moving forwards!
Phil, in monsoon struck East Yorkshire!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #243 on: July 29, 2023, 03:06:15 PM »
Hi All,

This week I finally get to the bottom of an ongoing water pump problem on my rainwater recycling system at the workshop! I get it all running beautifully, but don't find anything that I can put hand on heart and say that it was definitely the problem, apart from the old pump being damp internally but still running as long as it was on a non rcd circuit!! I shall dry it out and keep it as a spare. We spent Monday and Tueasday(in the rain) dismantling and transporting another dog run from the next village (2 miles away) to Langtoft and start to level for the base, luckily this is a steel bolt together affair which we will complete next week, and then NO MORE KENNELS!! back onto field work, which means more time in the workshop now that the monsoon has started! The humidity turns us into slow motion workers!
Phil, in the outdoor sauna in East Yorkshire!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #244 on: August 05, 2023, 11:04:57 AM »
Hi All
This week a mixed bag! I went to Murton park and Yorkshire Farming museum, and had a ride on the Derwent Valley Light Railway, which was fun, and in good weather too! IOn the field at Wicani Farm we get the kennel base finished, but not before the tractor gets stuck in the mud! The field is so soft it is like driving on wet sponge caker! Due to inclement weather I also get some time in the workshop to begin  another lovolite rebuild!
Phil, in the East Yorkshire Rainforest.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2023, 11:09:33 AM »
Hi All
This week I get the last coat of paint on the LoVolite and leave it to bake off in the workshop we get all the bits of the new kennel transported up the field, assembled and finished, and even get the roof on! So whats left to do? Everything!, no seriously we need to put felt and gutter on the  large kennel block and then the whole project is finished and we can get back onto the field clearance which is what we started on! We have another unexpected fly in the ointment though, Keiths car clutch, which john and I replaced only a couple of months ago, has failed! John reckons the (brand new) clutch cover spring has failed! I will keep you informed of the outcome!  the areas we cut with the Fordson are ready for another cut, so that will be next weeks first job, unless we are car hunting, or in the workshop if wet! Thanks for watching and don't forget to like, comment and subscribe!
Phil, East Yorkshires been HOT this week and so humid!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2023, 11:33:53 AM »
Hi All

This week I  am back in the workshop due to the weather! it has rained on and off all week! The Lovolite rebuild continues, we get a new car for keith due to the Volvos demise, and I repair two faults on the Ryobi chainsaw We did a little field work in final preparation for a much smaller than usual Wicani Jamboree, but were so rushed in between the rain I didn't get much time for  filming!

Phil, in increasingly soggy East Yorkshire.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2023, 11:03:48 AM »
Hi All
A very mixed bag this week, a couple of days of workshop fixes and Fordson major and topper working on the field topping out the regrowth on the bramble patch we cleared earlier this year.  The tractor staqrted (just) after a couple of months, and all running fine after my last attempt to blow it up when the water ran low because the rad was leaking and I didn't check the level before I started!! All running sweet, good oil pressure, cool running and no dramas, so I set up a couple of cameras, went back to the tractor, and it wouldn't start! in fact it was totally dead.  I jumped it off from the Toro2CV tractor (which ran out of petrol mid charge) and then proceeded to finish the area and took the tractor to a power point and put the charger on it......nothing, ammeter didn't budge, and a test proved the battery to be open circuit! Probably a broken internal link. £166 later we have a new 900 amp one, and boy does she start, although at that price I would expect it to cut the field by itself! I will be back to it Monday, weather permitting, this will probably be the last cut of the season.
Phil, in lovely late summer East Yorkshire.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2023, 11:34:34 AM »
Hi All
Which indeed? Keith and I went to look at, and bought, a mobility scooter for Angela to ride round the field on so she can get through her very demanding day a bit easier! We ttried it, I rode it, and he bought it, but when we got it home, we realised that it was fine on the flat, but even the slightest incline bogged it down! I have come to the conclusion that it has had the wrong control PCB bodged in  some long time ago, not by the guy we bought it off, who sold it in good faith, as I found the screws holding the cover over the PCB were rusted solid. Looking at it from this end, it was a bad buy, we are trying to find a wiring diagram,and the spec of the board that SHOULD be in it! Got the spares for the chainsaw, and fitted them, and it starts, then stops! more attention required! Got the new handle on the pressure wash finished, so I suppose something has gone right this week, and Martyn came over Friday, fitted a couple of security cams for me, and set up the network so that I can view them remotely And I had a ride in a Teswla, and the wildlife cam too, and then he took me for a ride in his wifes Tesla, which ,although he is a complete computer nerd, he hates! Me, being a bit of a prat, forgot to video it, but the acceleration was much MORE than impressive!!
Phil, Summer has been switched off in East Yorkshire!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #249 on: September 09, 2023, 11:05:43 AM »
Hi All
A very hot week in which both field work and shop work get done! Lots of grass cutting with the Fordson, and i got video to prove it! and also some workshop time working on a couple of old stairlifts that are being sold off as a project. a little generator, and I fix the yardcam as well. lots of stuff to interest the eclectic tastes of my viewers (I Hope!!) Hard to get into anything apart from an iced G&T when it's so hot!
Phil, in sweltering East Yorkshire!