Author Topic: Mag drill/broach  (Read 2025 times)

Offline kayzed1

Mag drill/broach
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:53:17 PM »
Hi all, any body have any information regarding ProMag electro magnetic cutting system?  Sheffield please?
I have a mag drill a friend has dropped off that the magnet does not work on, the company he took it to to
have fixed said no spare parts available for this drill...
I have put the meter across it and got 98volts out of the bridge to the magnet ( this is a   240volt machine )
The drill bit of it works, and the meter on the magnet cable reads .521meg. i have no info for it so no idea what readings
i should be getting, not even a glimmer of magnetism on the plate....i think it is about 30 Y/O
Lyn,

Offline WeldingRod

Re: Mag drill/broach
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:14:06 PM »
You need to.open the control panel (unplugged!!!) And look for two wires goimg.to the magnet.  They should have.some sensible resistance between them.  Maybe a couple hundred ohms.
If you are super lucky, your problem is a loose connection or a bad switch.

I can help more with photos...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 04:07:34 PM »
I bought a faulty one many years ago (pre-eBay !!) from Exchange & Mart, and one side of the bridge rectifier was blown.  I replaced the bridge, put an electrolytic capacitor across it to give it a bit of smoothing, and still use that drill to this day.

They are not complicated, and even if the magnet coil is blown most are simple to rewind once unpotted.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 03:29:19 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:27:46 PM »
Thanks both, will try and do some photo's after my bike ride to see a load of old bikers like myself..brekky at the Raven... :dremel: