Gallery, Projects and General > Member Videos

OLD LATHE

<< < (2/8) > >>

AdeV:
It looks like a South Bend clone to me, probably dating from the 1930s at a guess. No idea what make, unfortunately.

RussellT:
I agree it has a lot of similarities to a South Bend.  There is a page on the lathes.co.uk website http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend9-inch/page3.html which shows lots of South Bend Clones, including one from Brazil (Sanches Blanes) which I thought might fit the name on the lathe until I looked more closely.

I think the plate says Sociedade Technica Bremensis but it also has a Mercedes badge.  That's interesting because there is a Mercedes factory in Bremen.

Russell

celsoari:

--- Quote from: Pete. on November 07, 2019, 07:59:15 PM ---Lathes only lists one lathe from the maker STB - a precision bench lathe. Yours looks to be a screwcutting engine lathe. It appears fairly stout.

How about posting some more photos of the various parts, especially the headstock plaque. What length bed is it and what centre height?

--- End quote ---

28" long bed (without the head)
centre height: 5"

I need photos and information to rebuild some missing parts like gear protection, thread table and feeds, etc

celsoari:

--- Quote from: RussellT on November 08, 2019, 04:37:40 AM ---I agree it has a lot of similarities to a South Bend.  There is a page on the lathes.co.uk website http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend9-inch/page3.html which shows lots of South Bend Clones, including one from Brazil (Sanches Blanes) which I thought might fit the name on the lathe until I looked more closely.

I think the plate says Sociedade Technica Bremensis but it also has a Mercedes badge.  That's interesting because there is a Mercedes factory in Bremen.

Russell

--- End quote ---
Great clue linking the name Bremen with Mercedes

Pete.:
I don't see much 'South Bend' in that machine. The bed shape, tumbler, compound swivel mount are totally different and the bed is much more stout than a 10" South Bend of any era.

Celsoari after all the things we have seen you make I'm sure that bashing up a sheet metal gear cover would be no problem. If you want some help with a threading chart let us know what pitch the leadscrew is and what tooth counts you have on the gears  that are with it. The rest will be easy to work out.

Pete.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version