Author Topic: 11m Band Revisited  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Joules

11m Band Revisited
« on: October 31, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »
Back in my yoof, I had a dabble with CB radio.   Soon tired of it due to the abuse of the channels.   Anyhow earlier this year I came across the fact that UK CB has now opened up AM and SSB (5yrs ago) For many years I used to listen on my Shortwave reciever to HAM stations.  The thought of using SSB licence free appeals thanks to skip and the ability to communicate large distances.  Before committing to any further radio gear I thought I would make up a cheap antenna and see what my Software Defined Radio can pick up.  I have an SDRplay I use as a general receiver and for repair/R&D work here at home.   The CB bands these days are much quieter, but there is a growing group of "competant" operators on the SSB channels (I use the term channels, loosley if you understand SSB).

Another 3D design and print project, and another outside application for PLA.   The weather station is still holding up to UK weather so I figured my antenna bracket could be 3D printed.   Taking my guide from the Quorn prints, making the walls 7mm thick so they should be plenty strong.  The antenna is a temporary arrangement that can be raised and lowered as required, the mast being a (up to 7m) painters pole.  As the pole is aluminium I wanted to get the antenna some way away from it. The bracket was designed in Rhino, taking into account the 2 tube sizes needed.  I also added about 3mm clearance for the painters pole.  As the clamp is printed in a different orientation to the main bracket I wanted to avoid any hard spots that might lead to cracking of the print.  This allows me to use a cork liner that will accommodate any changes and allow some flex of the print.  I have used this method in other applications where we have had prints fail due to hard spots or vibration.  The cork also allows the clamp to be much looser as the cork has good friction on the pole and clamp.

I am starting to move away from Simply3D and finding the free offering of PrusaSlicer to be a good option.  It doesn't do everything but it is developing nicely.    Still waiting on picking up some coax as a search through my junk pile turned up nothing but a few PL259 connectors.   Now we no longer have Maplins getting odd stuff locally isn't so easy.    For anyone else that maybe interested look up "Fred in the Shed" on YouTube.   A lot has changed since the 80's, more to follow time permitting.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline ddmckee54

Re: 11m Band Revisited
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 10:25:15 PM »
I am starting to move away from Simply3D and finding the free offering of PrusaSlicer to be a good option.
I was using the Prusa version of Slic3r, but went to Simplify3D because I didn't like the way Slic3r handled the perimeters on thin walls.  I found that if Slic3r couldn't fit a complete perimeter in it just left a gap, resulting in weak spots in the print.  Simplify will go back and fill the gap.  Have they updated Slicer so that it also does that?

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline Joules

Re: 11m Band Revisited
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 05:33:38 PM »
Hi Don, PrusaSlicer is a complete rewrite of Slicer.  It is missing some features from Simplyfy3D, but has other features such as support for DLP resin printers.   Development of PrusaSlicer is progressing much faster under Prusa stewardship.   I was not happy about the direction S3D are going and since PrusaSlicer is free have been running it side by side with S3D.   Now I am hardly using S3D, but my method of working is to write a print to an SD card and run via that on each of my printers.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.