Author Topic: Melting pot  (Read 3493 times)

Offline tom osselton

Melting pot
« on: September 18, 2019, 07:53:06 PM »
Is anyone familiar with this? I picked up this melting pot when I went to the Makerspace it was on the free shelf it says max temperature is 1000 degrees f so I’m thinking lead, Babbitt, and French fries. :D
 I’ve plugged it in but no joy.
Hmmm pics don’t seem to want to load I’ll try later.

Offline tom osselton

Re: Melting pot
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 08:09:09 PM »
Ok just had to reboot my tablet.

There seems to be a part missing though the contacts don’t get pulled in, I’m thinking it needs another controller / power source to pull it in using the strange plug this is where the k type probe wires would go to also.

I have another temp control ( basic) and a solid state relay would it be better to just gut it and go that route?

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 08:33:46 PM »
I'd keep the contactor.  Yes, you need a controller, with enough of an SSR to operate the contactor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »
That’s what I thought thinking about it last night seeing as there is not a on off switch on it power would be needed to close the switch. I’ll see if I can source a plug like that, another concern is the thermalcoupling what wire would be used for that is there a special type or can I use regular 16 gauge?

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:34:42 PM »
I’ve got it running by jury rigging it with power  :wack: and finally shutting it down at 540 degrees so now I’ll pick up a plug or replace the connectors.