The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

What do Americans mean by 'single phase'?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Muzzerboy:
I moved my workshop over to Canada for 4 years (along with my family!) and simply ran my machines across the 240V supply which is used for heavy loads like the clothes drier and cooker. The only functional difference was that any on-line motors ran 20% faster (60Hz vs 50Hz) but if you are using VFDs, that issue doesn't arise anyway.

From a safety point of view, the neutral connection is generally earthed at the utility transformer, whether in N America or elsewhere. However, if you connect your equipment across 2 phases or across the 120-0-120 connection, both your "live" and "neutral" equipment connections are now live. Not a big issue but you might consider fitting a fuse on what used to be the "neutral" line in the equipment. Typically, only the "live" connection is fused in single phase equipment. Otherwise, you will be relying on the main circuit breaker, which may be fine, as I said.

BTW, 120-0-120 is not "two phase", it's single phase with an earthed centre tap neutral.

allanchrister:
Same question but the opposite.. Next year I will be moving to Germany and I have a number of 110v machines. Anyone know if I can get 110v supply from a German domestic house supply as usual voltage is 220/240v.? Enough to run a small mill and lathe.

Pete.:
Alan, the simplest way is to just get a yellow portable site  transformer from the UK. These are readily available and easy to use.

Muzzerboy:
Quite a good choice at CPC https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electrical-lighting/batteries-power-supplies/110v-site-transformers

vintageandclassicrepairs:
Hi All,

--- Quote --- Next year I will be moving to Germany and I have a number of 110v machines. Anyone know if I can get 110v supply from a German domestic house supply as usual voltage is 220/240v.? Enough to run a small mill and lathe.
--- End quote ---

Allen,
It really depends on the type of motor fitted and if they are suitable to work on 50Hz
Some motors are marked 50/60Hz and these will work OK but run at a lower speed than in USA
Other 60HZ motors will overheat on 50Hz and need a reduced voltage supply
USA 3 phase 220v 60Hz motors need the voltage reduced to 208v when run on a 50Hz system

I had reason to visit a companies premises here in Ireland where a lot of their equipment had been brought over from USA, Special transformers were installed to run those machines

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version