Author Topic: If you have a few hours to waste  (Read 4733 times)

bogstandard

If you have a few hours to waste
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »
While on my computer rebuild, I have been trying out a few of my internet favourites, and came across this one.

I am sure some of you have seen it before, but if you haven't, it is full of all sorts of ideas from coke booby traps to cnc router tables.

Just don't start searching late at night, or you will be waking up with bags under your eyes.

http://www.instructables.com/

Here is just one article that might be of interest

http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-an-ATX-Power-Supply-Into-a-Regular-DC-Powe/

And another that brings back memories of what my dad got up to in the garden shed.

http://www.instructables.com/id/British-Stinging-Nettle-Beer/

John

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: If you have a few hours to waste
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:45:50 PM »
That's just brilliant Bogsie  :thumbup: ................ hopefully I'll get to bed before it's light  :bugeye:

Cheers  :beer:

CC

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »
Ok sooo... I know this is gonna get me in trouble.....

I dont like beer.

I drank a HORRIBLE 16 oz beer when like 8 years old.. it got warm, I had to finish it.. I got sick.. and since then.. the flavor of beer makes me ill.

On that note I do like a nice Port, and a variety of "umbrella" drinks, as well as simple old shots, and things like Gin and Tonic, as well as other drinks that "put hair on your chest." I also realistically only drink once in a while. Parties, and or special occations.

Sooooo reading the Nettle Beer thing.. He comments that Hopps is added to modern beer... not old world beer!?!?  I have always thought beer=hopps. I didnt know there was such a thing as beer without Hopps.
Hopps I THINK is the flavor I dont like...

Anyone know of beer without hopps here in the colonies?
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:34:03 PM »
Scott,

I think you can make 'beer' out of almost anything natural and organic, straw, grass etc. I think the hops are used to give the unique flavour we are all accustomed to in one of our favourite drinks. If you make it out of something else, you just get a different taste.

My father made 'beer' out of all sorts of things, and they all came out with the same result. You fell over after you had drunk a few cloudy glasses.

Get used to the crappy taste, and you have a very cheap source of neck oil. Perfect for the man (or woman) who had no money to afford the real thing.

In my very early youth, we were one of those very poor families. Dad would brew nettle beer for himself, and we would have a 'ginger beer plant' on a window ledge, that was 'fed' every so often with a spoonful of sugar and a bit more water, the liquid it produced was watered down to make into a cordial, giving us kids the feeling of being able to afford real pop.

You shouldn't knock it, all these old recipes were there to provide succour to the penniless masses, and most times it succeeded.

Bogs

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 02:29:05 AM »
Every summer, we were sent out to the quiet local country lanes & fields, to pick elder flowers.

I can still remember the taste of Mum`s champagne, on hot summer days.....

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!