The Shop > Tools

Burr and matting media for vibratory tumbler to nicefy steel

<< < (2/9) > >>

awemawson:
Washed 6 mm pea shingle. Just blag a sample from your local builders merchant. It's sold in ton bags locally but also in 'handy bags' (20 kg) and it's not uncommon for people to want to match what they are buying to what they already have.

https://www.jewson.co.uk/search-results/?keywords=gravel

appletree:
Possibly too coarse for what you need but works fine and cheap as chips. Get a toughened glass car side window pop it in a plastic bag hit it with a hammer break up the bits that are cracked but not separated. The shards are about 5 to 6mm cubes initially used ia a small machine as pictured above later built a bigger one. The glass is sharp and leaves a suitable finish on most metals I have tried, use wet or dry, lasts a good while

Phil

PekkaNF:
Yes stailess steel pins are used in rotary tumbler to clean cases but I bought a vibratory model, like in opening post.

Lotsa different abrsavises and ceramic/pebels ec. are used in rotarty tumblers to make rocks round, but I think that it would be too hard for metals.

--- Quote from: appletree on July 07, 2019, 06:01:59 AM ---Possibly too coarse for what you need but works fine and cheap as chips. Get a toughened glass car side window pop it in a plastic bag hit it with a hammer break up the bits that are cracked but not separated. The shards are about 5 to 6mm cubes initially used ia a small machine as pictured above later built a bigger one. The glass is sharp and leaves a suitable finish on most metals I have tried, use wet or dry, lasts a good while

Phil

--- End quote ---

I like the idea of tempered glass shrapnel. Must find a tempered glass. Thak you.

Do you use glass only or do you use some other "pebles" with it?

appletree:
I use just the glass on its own, sometimes with water and a couple of drips of washing up liquid.
For cleaning moderate size rusty castings I put them in an electric cement mixer with plenty of gravel.

Phil

AdeV:
Some years ago, I used nuts  :lol:

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,3453.msg37310.html#msg37310

It didn't really do that much, though, so next time I think I'll try gravel  :scratch:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version