The Shop > Tools

Chinese Bandsaw or Power Hacksaw?

(1/5) > >>

NickG:
Hi all,

Just nipped up to machine place at lunch time to get my change wheel that I broke on the Harrison. While I was up there I noticed an Axminster Power Hack saw he had for sale. John (Bogs) have you got one? Thought I remembered you saying it was good? He was selling that for a customer for £150 but he had a couple of others of old school style floor standing ones, one for £80 which looks really well made (the old english stuff tends to be) with lots of life left in it although a little big, I will be moving house soon and have a double garage! There was another that looked even better, much more compact, self contained little unit which looks exceptionally well made, he wants £195 for that one. The only issue with those 2 are the 3 phase motors.

My question is, should I go for one of these rather than a chinese type band saw? The guy seemed to think the hacksaw was a much better bet, but he would as he's selling them. The bandsaws always attracted me because of the speed they seem to cut at.

I would appreciate your thoughts guys!

Cheers,

Nick

bogstandard:
Hi Nick,

If I had the choice of either, I would go for both hacksaw and bandsaw (especially the one that can run vertically as well), as they both have plus and minus points. I have a small hobby bandsaw that cuts up my non ferrous stuff.

My problem was space, plus, as I am not on piece work so speed doesn't really come into it.

Here are my last two posts about using the hacksaw.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1276.0

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1251.0

They are admirable when it comes to cutting large stuff. They cut off nice and square, and the blades seem to last forever. I am still using the first one that came with the machine, and seems as sharp now as when I first used it. The blades are cheap enough at about 5 squid apiece for this machine, a rather lot more I would suggest for the other two you were looking at. Also, when I get the total loss spraymist unit set up on it, I am expecting a lot quicker cuts and less blade wear (if that is possible)

A couple of grease points, and that is about it for maintenance.

As you can see, I have mounted mine on the benchtop with a couple of coach screws, so it is truly a benchtop machine if you want it to be.

I am not being biased, as I too would have a bandsaw if I had the room. I am just showing that a power hacksaw like mine performs better than what I originally thought it would, and I am overjoyed with it's performance.

John

CrewCab:
Nick, I have a hacksaw similar to John's, to be fair space is limited so that was a major consideration, mine came with a cheap and nasty blade but, having changed that for a decent (eclipse) one I find it a great little machine, I do need to increase the pressure on the blade a little for bigger stuff, hopefully I'll get around to sorting that properly one day, but I'm very pleased with it.

CC

bogstandard:
Actually Dave, it is the air support ram that causes the problem. If you removed it, then no further problems should ensue, and you should get a nice steady cut. But I did leave mine on there, to help me lift the saw to the raised position, and to take the weight when lowering it onto the job.
But it does need about 10 kilos of downwards weight on the lifting handle to give that steady balanced cut.

John

CrewCab:
Cheers John, like you I think the ram is handy to keep, as it works fine with (like yours) a little added pressure on the handle it's not a priority at the moment :thumbup:

First class little machine though,

Nick ................ another option to consider perhaps ................. "Cut off Saw" ........... I know Ralph has one and is a real fan, it's another alternative, needs even less space and only about half the price  :headbang:

Clcky Linky Thingy

CC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version