The Shop > CNC

Making a Special Beaver Partsmaster CAT 40 Pull Stud

<< < (2/2)

awemawson:
Murray that's extremely kind of you and yes I'd love to try them. PM incoming

I live in fear of a slightly wrong stud getting stuck in the spindle as I understand that the gripper assembly and it's Belleville washer stack are an absolute b****** to get apart and back together.

It's always been a bit of a mystery why all mine have the very pointy top - I have a suspicion that it's something to do with aiding alignment as the stud enters the gripper, and as there wasn't ever a through coolant option there was no need for a central hole.

awemawson:
Murray's Pull Studs arrived this morning - many thanks Murray  :thumbup:

Sadly they are not going to work. The shoulder that the machine pulls on, on my machine is inclined at 45 degrees and starts 21.16 mm from the reference face and runs to 23.25. On the ones Murray very kindly sent, they have a 90 degree face to pull on, situated 28.25 from the reference face. Some of them have the 45 degree face but still too far from the reference.

Never mind, it was an extremely thoughtful gesture  :bow:

Muzzerboy:
Bugger. Worth a try but annoyingly different. I don't know how much movement your drawbar can accommodate but I think you mentioned Belville springs, which suggests very little movement. I have a stiff die spring on mine which can tolerate a fair degree of tolerance on the pullstud position.

Ah, well. Might come in handy as fishing weights...

awemawson:
Well none of you spotted the syntax error in the thread code

No - nor did I and it took me two days on and off finding those two extra comas  :bang:

Turns out that they are a hang over from a previous version of the FeatureCAM to Siemens post processor that I failed to correct last year so variables R23 (number of none cutting passes) and R31 (finished o/d) are terminated by a coma AND a space instead of just a space.

Controller just stopped reporting 'General Program Error Line N605'

These things are always SO obvious once you've spotted them  :lol:

ddmckee54:
Happens all the time, we see what we are expecting to see - not what's actually there.  If you read a sentence where letters have been intentionally left out, we will automatically fill in the blanks with what we expect to see.

It helps to have someone else look at your work, but not all the time.  I remember one instance about 25 years ago where I had one particular line of code in a PLC program that would cause the program to fault.  It was a simple little thing, read this word of status from the PLC's reserved memory location, but every time we ran that code it faulted the PLC.

I looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong with it, my boss looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong with it, the local factory representative looked at the code and couldn't find anything wrong with it.  We finally bit the bullet and paid a factory service engineer to come out and tell us what was going on.  He looked at the code for about 30 seconds and asked "All of the instructions are supposed to be "reads", correct?"  We all three more or less simultaneously answered yes, to which he replied "This one's a WRITE".  We were faulting the PLC by writing garbage into its' protected memory.

You wee what you expect to see, not necessarily what's actually there.

Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version