The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Development Board Recommendation Please

(1/2) > >>

sparky961:
It's been a while since I've popped by, but this seemed like an apt question for this forum...

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on purchasing a development board for my next project.  I've ruled out anything Arduino/microcontroller based because I'd like to have a nifty UI with nice graphics and a bunch of other higher order stuff.  From my little bit of research, that leaves the microprocessor based Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone at the top of my list.  I've been favouring Beaglebone because of the 7 analog inputs that I would likely use up, but if it's easy to graft on an analog input board I'd be open to anything.

There will be lots of analog data acquisition in this project, but I haven't worked out how many inputs - plus things will evolve.  I don't think 20 is out of the question.  I'll also be doing some PWN output and simple digital on/off control.  12V power, or the availability of DC-DC power supplies is an asset, as this is an automotive type application.

I may be able to narrow it down a little if someone wants to ask some questions, but at this point I'm ok with getting something way overkill as long as it has LOTS of I/O.

Thanks!

efrench:
Well, I'm using a Teensy 3.5 along with a Nextion touchscreen for my rose engine project.  Plenty of UI and IO capabilities.

Muzzerboy:
There are literally hundreds of SBCs offering compatibility with the likes of the Arduino and RPi, so if you are looking for something a little off beat such as loads of ADCs, it may be worth having a look around. Mickmake provides a useful overview of the bewildering choice out there. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7GMT3ohvYEAJFDenzj9EMQ

From what I understood, the RPi was based on the sort of SoC used in smart phones, so has more video processing hardware on board, compared to the Arduino family. Having said that, you can branch out from either starting point into any number of different directions.

The Beaglebone Green is used as the basis for the machine controller used in the Centroid Acorn. It uses a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8, like the other Beaglebone SBCs. However, Centroid created a PC-based GUI connected to the Beaglebone BOB by Ethernet. That's another approach you might take.

russ57:
A gent I was talking to Saturday had an interesting view.

He is using a cheap ($50) smart phone*, with q python, as a control (=raspberry pi with screen) and (multiple as needed) Esp32 boards to provide io.

There is some sort of 'helper library' which facilitates comms between the 2. (his preference was udp for simplicity).

There are a few things I'm not sure about with this approach, but for some projects it seems a good idea.

Russ
* no sim card, just wifi. Thinking about this, a cheap tablet might be even better...

sparky961:
Thanks for the tips so far.  I was really hoping to keep everything to one physical unit, but I can see the potential benefit to distributing it among smaller cheap boards.  The variety and selection are just so plentiful it's hard to make anything but a random choice!

If anyone has specific links to examples/tutorials/videos showing an interconnected systems that would help narrow down my options and get me going quickly it would be appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version