Author Topic: Keats angle plate, the other alternative to a four jaw chuck.  (Read 16359 times)

bogstandard

Just tinkering about the shop, I decided to finish off a little job I should have done last year.

Nothing too strenuous or mind numbing, just a few 8mm holes drilled and tapped in a logical pattern into my faceplate.

By doing this, it allowed me to bolt on my Keats angle plate.
I have mentioned these before, and IMHO they are a lot easier to set up than a four jaw. Maybe not as versatile as a 4 jaw independent with regards to size holding, but if you are making more than one of the same thing, it can save you hours of setting up.
Once you have tapped the plate into it's final resting place for doing the job, and tweaked it up tight onto the faceplate, if you need to do another of the same thing, just slacken the two clamp screws, put in a new piece part, and away you go. With a four jaw, your have to reset the jaws every time you slacken the jaws off.

Holding a bit of square bar.

Then a bit of small round.

My four jaw is massive and too heavy for me to lift safely, and until I get my new donated chuck mounted up, this will do me just fine.

If you can fit one of these onto your faceplate, for the price, it is silly not to have one.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2frdgtools%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=keats&PN=ANGLE_PLATES%2ehtml%23a688#a688

Bogs

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
Re: Keats angle plate, the other alternative to a four jaw chuck.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »
Thanks for that Bogs  :bow:- I've had one of those under the bench for years, now I might use it....
Mark
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:03:20 PM »
Mark,

These plates are like that, buy it in good faith, and because they don't get used right away, they are put away and forgotten about.

I can guarantee now that I have mine mounted up, it will  never be forgotten again, and will be used all the time if I have offset work to do.

Bogs

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:15:12 PM »
Thanks for that John, another timely reminder that I need to get a faceplate for the Boxford  :poke: then one of the Keats angle plates  :scratch:

CC

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:31:03 PM »
I have a faceplate... want one those angle plates!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »
I have a faceplate... want one those angle plates!

Eric

Eric, I live 20 minutes drive away from RDG, I can get you one and post it if you like.

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »
I didn't mention this time that they can be bolted or clamped to your mill table to hold things perfectly vertical for milling, or can also be used on a surface grinder or shaper for doing the same thing. Or even on your surface plate for marking up. Can't think of anything else just yet, but I am sure there are a lot more uses.

It is a real universal tool.

Bogs

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
Eric, I live 20 minutes drive away from RDG, I can get you one and post it if you like.

CC

We may end up doing that... probably be a few months before I can get the cash together.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »
Eric here is the contact for the US version called a Riker vise.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=444.msg1237#msg1237
its plans to make one.
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 11:40:35 PM »
My four jaw is massive and too heavy for me to lift safely, and until I get my new donated chuck mounted up, this will do me just fine.

Bogs

It is your own fault Mr Bogs,  if you let me buy you that lathe in the damaged crate you could have had your four jaw permanently mounted on one! :beer:

Mind you I do agree they are darn heavy, I put mine of the floor once but never again, now it is either on the lathe or on its special shelf which is the same height. :med:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 09:13:26 AM »
Glenn,
I tried clicking on this-Eric here is the contact for the US version called a Riker vise.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=444.msg1237#msg1237
its plans to make one.
glen
And I could not open it. Do you have another way that I can get a look at that?
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Fred

Offline kvom

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
How easy is it to adjust precisely?  The good thing is that you adjust in only one direction, but since that is controlled by the two bolts in slots, I assume there is some delicate tapping needed to get the piece to the center.

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »
Fred,

Without breaking copyright rules, it would be very difficult to show you a picture of the Rike-Vise. But there is nothing stopping me showing you a retailers advert.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2304

Have a look at Chris's Tips at the top of the sales blurb.

Kirk,

I use the plastic handle of a screwdriver for a 'knocking stick' and find it is easy to get within a tenth of what is required.

Again, this is my personal view, as I get varying success rates trying to get the pressures correct on the jaws of a 4 jaw. It just might be my hate of the 4 jaw in general that does it, but I will stand by my case that I personally find it a lot easier to use.

Someone else might find it a PITA to adjust.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »
Without going through the Bedside Readers, I think Guy Lautard has something simular to that shown for the Rike-Vise. Looks like it would be easier to adjust than a 4 jaw. Never tried one of these.

Do have to agree with Bogs that a 4 jaw is a PITA to set up. Never know if you've got equal pressure on all 4 jaws and just a bit more pressure on one jaw and your off .001" or more again.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 07:54:52 AM »
John,
I thought that I had replied, but it seems to have disappeared. Thanks for the link. I like the price at the LMS site and might be ordering it. Will it work as well as the Keats Angle Plate?
Thanks again for all of your help.
Fred

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »
So, erudite members ...

Almost relevant to this thread  ..  what's this I've had for years ...  variation on a theme ??

Not as cock-eyed as pic suggests. Camera is crap for close ups with straight lines, don't notice otherwise ..

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.